Leyland Daf...HELP needed ...

paulob1

Well off i went on Saturday to collect my new baby, arrived at Dave's and straight into the cab switched her on fired her up and broom off she went...drove her 40 feet forward to drop the pallet off to load my car on...and drive away...the truck stopped...Dave comes up and tells me I can t have the truck yet as there is something wrong with it...hmm very very disappointed.

Anyway Dave says he will fix it today, he hsa had the fuel lines all cleaned up already but does anyone know what it could be...a dodgy lift pump, some safety valve or anything else...i am just a bit suspect that it fired up so quickly then failed after a short while. if it was an air leak in the fuel system it would drain down after a few minutes or hours, if it was some sort of cut off emergency valve, could this be faulty, is there a power cut off of some sort like the FV432...

Anyone got any thoughts on it...

You mention something about a pallet, so maybe you mean a DROPS, not a DAF?

If it's a DROPS, then it could be something electrical, affecting the stop solenoid on the FIP. It's been a while, and the grey cells are starting to go, but I'm sure you stop a DROPS on the key, and the DAF was a pull stop?

If it's a DROPS, then it could be something electrical, affecting the stop solenoid on the FIP. It's been a while, and the grey cells are starting to go, but I'm sure you stop a DROPS on the key, and the DAF was a pull stop?

Hi mine is a leyland DAF DROPS...it does start on the key so it could be something electrical...maybe the solenoid,it does sound odd that it should just stop and wont restart...but fiddling with the diesel supply did solve the problem for a day or so...or so it seems...but i am getting suspicious now...

Hi Paulob1.

I Think there is a air sol valve under the dash which sends an air supply to

the air piston on the fuel pump. maybe this could be the problem.

This was the original set up on the Scammell Drops test vehicles but Dafs may

have changed this on the production vehicles.

hope this is of some help.

Clive

On your fuel lines at r/h/r of engine they go from the solid metal pipes to flexy ones, the unions on there have o-rings inside them on the push to seal side, take them apart and i reckon you shall find both of them solid and cracked, if they are that is where it shall be drawing in air. the only other place they seem to draw air is the elbow connection that is through the chassis near the fuel tank this can be a pain in the arse to get to as the loom gets in the way.

That is correct however the mmlc (drops) does have and emergency pull to stop leaver at the front if this was depressed tho the vehicle would not start.

I will wait until I have had it running for a bit and left it for a few hours before I fully conclude it is sorted...my experience with diesel systems is that they work forever until they stop working then it takes about the same time to sort out the problems...

thanks for all the input am going to change those push fit connectors and the tubes once I have her running again...dont want an on the road stoppage..

Not a problem mate, i have had 3 years playing with these and their bigger brother (immlc) so if you ever need any other advise i will do my best to help.

Not a problem mate, i have had 3 years playing with these and their bigger brother (immlc) so if you ever need any other advise i will do my best to help.

Mash thats great news...the IMMLC is the next one on the list along with a Foden Wrecker and a DUKW...well that will be it for next year unless a nice chieftain comes along..or another Berliet Wrecker...which may be added but next year is consolidation repair paint and get all my toys fully operational...

yep its still not working, looks like those connectors are the problem....the boys are replacing them now...it runs fine when you fill everything with diesel and get her running, but when she has been stood for a night she starts empties the injectors and stops...

it has to be a very slow air leak

yep its still not working, looks like those connectors are the problem....the boys are replacing them now...it runs fine when you fill everything with diesel and get her running, but when she has been stood for a night she starts empties the injectors and stops...

it has to be a very slow air leak

I will admit to having some knowledge of the Freddys too. Hope they have had fun because they can be a pain in arse to line up and connect two 7/8s spanners and bendy arms helps.

nope its non of that, there is a one way valve in the pump? or somewhere and this is now suspect...but I dont really know now as they have replaced that...so something very odd is going on..

it works for a while then just simply stops, no fuel, even with the lift pump being fed by the can of diesel and nothing else in the line...well thats what the boys have told me...

anyone got any other ideas...

i have one coming from stoke..will collect on saturday, or friday.....you could not scan and email me a copy of the fuel system could you....the truck is at David Crouches right now...i will not see it until Friday. I hope its sorted by then

Edited by paulob1
spelling and more info

i have one coming from stoke..will collect on saturday, or friday.....you could not scan and email me a copy of the fuel system could you....the truck is at David Crouches right now...i will not see it until Friday. I hope its sorted by then

looks like it was the actual connector in the chassis itself, it must have had a hairline crack...well again thats what I am told, we will see tomorrow....when i collect the old girl...