1959 simca marmon

mcinally90

not so much a restorations but a modification.

i recently purchased the marmon but the crimpling fuel economy has made long term modifications happen straight away.

i have removed the engine and gearbox and im open to anybodys sugestions of diesel engines and gearboxes to fit and also how to change the wiring from 24v dynamo to either 12v or 24v alternator setup.

any suggestions would be great. cheers

Proabaly work out similar cost if not less, to LPG it. Diseil trucks aren't that much les sto run than petrol now. For the sort of milage a show vehicle does. Is there any point in worrying now? Also with various bizzare types of legislation that seem to be in the offing, LPG might well be a better bet. Unless you might be able to get vegtable oil?

Convert it to LPG! It was a very popular fuel in the Netherlands from the 1970s, it has become less popular since every family car comes with a diesel engine.

The engine runs smoother on LPG and you can see fom the engine oil it runs much cleaner, too. From my Australian friends I understand the Flathead V8 runs well on LPG.

Lots of HMV's like GMCs and Dodges here in the Netherlands run on LPG to keep costs down. The conversion is simple to do, cost-effective and it can be removed leaving little traces if the next owner does not like it.

And you get to keep that lovely V8 rumble!

Edited by mcspool