Solving storage problems

Nick Johns

The Jeep collection has expanded a bit more recently so to make room for a '42 slat grill one has to maximise all available space, storage in South London is at a premium so idea! stack two Jeeps in one lock up garage!...First raise '43 GPW up with electric hoist, place stand under rear wheels, then repeat operation at the front, it has no engine so not too heavy, then remove wheels, support jeep on scaffold, then park '42 GPW below...simples

33717_1647671673257_1280883218_1730998_7927694_n.jpg

72514_1647671993265_1280883218_1731000_5684611_n.jpg

Edited by Nick Johns

And not a single health and safety issue in sight!

We carried out a full risk assesment of course first, and came to the conclusion.....its f...... dangerous, but no Jeeps were harmed in the operation, it really is quite safe! They can stay there in the dry now untill its their turn for restoration

Edited by Nick Johns

I would have tipped the pair on their sides and rolled them in on skates.....

I would have just crushed them and saved all the bother !!!

On a more serious note the use of fencing chain for lifting at such acute angles is quite dangerous.

Once did a similar thing a good few years ago with Champs which I had for spares, but just stacked one directly on the other then pushed the bottom one into the storage box.

Not impressed to be honest. I have FIVE series 1 Land Rovers in one lock up garage, and yes, it is a standard size one.

Must have been a challenge! Even the catalogueing of the parts! Putting one together again shouldn't be too difficult, all spares fit all? Post a pic!

Getting them all in is not too hard. The chassis are all lined up against one wall and the body tubs stack at the back. Axles, engines, gearboxes, wings and everything else just fit in where they can.

The big problem is getting just one out again. It may be easy to make a whole one again, but finding the original axles, engine and gearbox and also the correct bulkhead in there can be a sod. Technically my post should have said 'I have had 5 series 1's in a standard size lockup' as one of them has come out to be rebuilt. It is 1952 and we chose to rebuild this one first as the chassis and bulkhead were the easiest to get at. Unfortunately the rest of it was not!

When I return to the lockup I will get a photo.