Rainex

Larry Hayward

Question

7 answers to this question

Put simply - it's a chemicsl compund you apply to a vehicles glass which causes the water to bead and run off without having to switch the wipers on.

F

rom personal experience it actually works quite well at mid-range speeds. Slow and fast speeds will still require use of the wipers - which then rubs the compound off necessitating re-application!

Larry,

Rain-X is I think the correct spelling. I have used it for years, first on motor cycle helmet visors, then I gave it a go on my brother's jeep as it has hand wipers and blades do not cover a very great area in their sweep. It works extremelly well, providing it is applied correctly. Also used it on my Bedford QL and found that there was no need to use the wipers as the water was "beading away" and not inhibiting vision.

Richard

I use something similar called Rainaway I think, from Halfords. It is applied with a cloth and polished off once dry. I've found it works at virtually all speeds, and use it on the jeep screen inside and out, plus mirrors.

I thought of trying it on Lynne's contact lenses so she doesn't have to blink in the rain, but she didn't seem impressed with the idea!! :shake:

Steve

I too have used rain x for years both on my normal car and on my MVs

On cars you often only need to use intermittent wipe speeds rather than full speed and to misquote another ad - it really does what it says on the tin

2 seconds search on google and taking the first 2 hits

an online supplier at £6 - I leave you to investigate p+p costs

http://www.motormania.co.uk/product_subcategory.asp?cat=Car%20Care&subcat=Interior%20Cleaners

or of course there is the dread eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/helmet-windscreen-rain-x-repellent-race-rally-car-cars_W0QQitemZ220024594236QQihZ012QQcategoryZ100921QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rain x and Halfrauds own brand are easily available - from them of course

Yes the Rain-X does work very well ,I use it on all my vehicles 1999 Dodge caravan , 2003 Toyota Prius currently and a number of others in the past and CCKW when the rain hits the glass the rain forms much smaller droplets on contact with a treated surface be it windshield or sidewindow or rear window , as a result you look thru a fine mist of droplets as anything larger runs right off and you don't have any film of water to look thru or to drag behind the wiper blades a real plus on the flat windshield of the CCKW as the wipers don't cover a lot of the area and the wipers don't work on those long hills unless you want to loose any speed by taking your foot off the gas to "see" where your going lol . True if you use the wipers it will take off the coating a bit faster but you reapply it every few months anyhow , I buy it in liquid form you can get it in a pump spray or towelettes .