Oops...I've done it again !

timbo

Went out for tea with Mrs Timbo and small Timbos yesterday..

On way spotted a large shabby house with parked in back garden what looked like a rather sad 80 inch series 1. Now I've been going up and down this particular road for a number of years but never spotted it before. As I have been sort of toying with the idea of a series 1 to join the lightweight for a while I was amazed at my lack of attention.

Intrigued I went back this morning for a proper look. Twas indeed a series 1, complete with many orginal fittings, seats, lights, bonnet furniture, dashboard, clocks, you name it. Lots of surface rust on chassis, springs etc. Holes in door pillars but no worse than you would expect of a vehicle which has stood for some years (later confirmed as 9 years).

Anyway to cut a long story short I knocked tentatively on the door, and the owner an elderly lady appeared. After 10 mins of chatting and a couple of abortive offers the deal was done, and I am now the proud owner. Waht really clinched it was when I gently rubbed some of the green mould off the wing to reveal the words 'this vehicle is the property of the ministry of defence'..! Apparently it has the original engine, which was rebuilt a number of years ago and a spare which was also rebuilt. One owner since leaving military service.

Picking it up next weekend and will post some pics shortly after.

Just goes to show you never know what's lurking just round the corner.

Thinking about doing minimum amount to it as I really like the patina of age which, once gone, can never be restored...

Chassis may be the decider - as I say looked externally very rusty but you never know, it might clean up. In the short term I will probably just try putting a new battery, fluids, plugs, filters on and see if it starts. I already have a number of CVRT's to finish, an early lightweight to finish my rolling resto on, and a Sankey narrow track in a million bits !

Ok here it is...

When I went back for a proper look realised it is actually an 86 inch. Apparently the 'RGC' prefix vehicles were mostly civil defence vehicles. Good points - lots of original fittings, engine looks quite tidy. Bad points - footwells close to being non existent ! Chassis might not actually be too bad but we'll see. First job will probably be too throw half of it away !

25092010055.jpg

25092010059.jpg

25092010056.jpg

25092010053.jpg

25092010058.jpg

25092010057.jpg

25092010066.jpg

25092010054.jpg

25092010064.jpg

25092010060.jpg

25092010065.jpg

Listed in "The Green Machine" as chassis no 170600714 used as a command car issued to the "Home Office Fire Service Technical Centre" seems odd that the chassis no is one out?

It was part of the same Home Office stock as Green Goddesses etc.

Edited by croc

I'm surprised that canvas is in one piece after all those years standing. I bet its like cardboard.

Ah yes, well if it looks tauter than you might expect that could be something to do with the plywood lining on the sides and at the back of the cab.

I'm always in two minds on canvas. Whilst this one is certainly beyond help, I'm not sure I like new ones as they are so obviously, well, new I suppose...!

Listed in "The Green Machine" as chassis no 170600714 used as a command car issued to the "Home Office Fire Service Technical Centre" seems odd that the chassis no is one out?

It was part of the same Home Office stock as Green Goddesses etc.

Excellent thanks for that - so perhaps the writing on the wing reads 'Property of the Home Office'?

Will have to try a gentle polish at weekne to see if I can reveal more...