Yorkshire Film Archive Hunshelf AAA gun site

No Signals

If the link works, then here is a cracking little bit of film showing a local anti aircraft gun site. Shows the ladies and gents who manned it, and a few vehicles chucked in for good measure!

http://www.yfaonline.com/yfalearning/assetDetails.cfm?film=2299&keyword=&sortby=&decade=6&by=decade&caseValue=decade&fromSearchValue=fromBrowseBy

Assuming I'm looking at the right spot on Google Earth, there does not seem to be any sign of the gun foundations remaining, although traces of the Nissen huts from the buildings of either the gun site or the later camp still exist.

What meal was being served that that they were pouring something white over , was that milk or cream ? I could gather that they were having potatos and sauages ?

To me it looked like a roast dinner (potato`s seen) and did look like cream being poured on to a pudding could be a Sunday lunch or a christmas meal ??

Ashley

Ok Bob, contrary to an earlier post I put on, now deleted, it isnt where I thought it was. :D Whats more it isnt anywhere the blurb accompanying the film suggests it is. Although there is a record of an aaa site at the back of Ecclesfield school my initial thoughts are that the terrain does not suit what can be seen in the film, but I have yet to check that out. The site I thought it was doesnt check out with the film either, although it does seem to have some unknown military background. It is nowhere near the Italian POW camp at Potter Hill nor is it associated with the only US camp I know of in the area, at the opposite end of the Hunshelf area at Penistone. Time for a bit more field walking. All this hampered by some unreliable Long/Lat info from a supposed reliable reference on the subject. Keeps you out of mischief eh?