Clansman Crimp connectors

JoelH

Looks like a fairly standard circular 'bullet' crimp - if it was me I'd just grab some standard ones and either nip them in with pliers or expand them slightly to fit the terminals. A decent car parts shop should have a good selection, if not I'd try Farnell/CPC, RS and Maplin in that order.

Worth pointing out that you should definitely invest in a decent crimp tool (spend £20-30 on a proper parallel-jaws model, don't just get a single-hinge one for a fiver) with appropriate size jaws for the connectors you choose. Stranded wire crimped correctly with the right tool gives the best connection (don't add solder, it weakens it!) - if not then a correctly soldered stranded or solid wire is acceptable for slightly less mechanical strength. Don't be tempted to use pliers or a bench vice, it's just a recipe for frustration, mangled fingers and future dodgy electrical connections that are a pig to track down later.

Hope that helps :angel:

Stone

However remember the professional £14-25 insulated connectors tool does not work on the bare connectors and visa -versa -for people who don't need both tools professionally the cheap multi-tools are probably a better buy -although they certainly don't do the job as well (or as brutally) as the expensive ratchet models.

However remember the professional £14-25 insulated connectors tool does not work on the bare connectors and visa -versa -for people who don't need both tools professionally the cheap multi-tools are probably a better buy -although they certainly don't do the job as well (or as brutally) as the expensive ratchet models.

Correct, sorry, I forget to mention it as I only ever use the insulated ones! A short piece of heatshrink for insurance is a good idea also, whether the connector is insulated or not.

Stone

Hello,

We are currently converting some clansman "staff user" boxes. We have removed the old wires but we are in need of the circular crimp connectors used on the clansman kit. Any suggestions on alternatives?

Solder the ends together? It's what I used to do when I got fed up of users bringing their kit back and whingeing that the connectors kept disconnecting.

We did solder a test example - but it was time consuming.

And much warmer and less hard work sat out of sight and out of mind in the SHQ Troop cage than lifting and replacing CVR(T) deck armour outside in the German winter and not feeling the loss of your fingers if you slipped. ;o)