Question- gmc history

warrior

I have just become the proud owner of a 42 closed cab 353 gmc and not sure where it came from? the info plates above the screen are in german, but I think it maybe swiss, did they use the gmc's after the war? what changes would they have made to the truck, I can see they have removed the hinges from the screen for a permanent fix??:-):-):-D

cheers warrior.

Swiss GMC 353 sometimes have a notek style blackout light on the grille side under the front mudguard rather than a US style blackout in the normal position to the outside of the drivers side headlamp. I'm fairly sure Swiss trucks of all types had a notek style rear blackout distance lamp too.

However headlamps on all GMC 353 moved over time in keeping with changes in local vehicle construction and use regs. For example final releases from France (civil defence etc) had headlights repositioned under the mudguards.

As to German instructions on dash boards this would also be the case with Austrian 353s and I would have thought Swiss vehicles may also have french instructions.

There are some common mods done to the trucks to keep them running and maintained. Most are universal... some are more country specific.

Stake pockets would be notched for drainage (this was actually a Wartime mod, but new bed made post war (German ones have been definitely ID'd) would have them.

The grill bar in front of the radiator petcock was bent out of the way.

Data plates (I have a set in french off a 45 tipper)

Gauges replaced with KM/h, Celcuis, Liters as required.

A battery cut off switch was added by the Norwegian or Dutch (I have a TM that in Dutch that shows this and its labeled as such).

Some parts would be made in Europe (I have a set of split axles with 'made in France' cast into them).

Mirrors on the outside are larger, and one is added to the right side.

Tires are not NDT.

Thats about all I have seen.

Edited by deadline

Stake pockets would be notched for drainage (this was actually a Wartime mod, but new bed made post war (German ones have been definitely ID'd) would have them.

Great stuff Deadline and do you have any photos showing this as I have always wanted to see this...

Cheers,

Jack.

Jack - in case Deadline can't meet your deadline, here are a couple of pics of Lindy Lou's body:

One shows neat cut-outs rather than rough flame cut drainage holes, the other shows the German builder's plate.

Now I've always thought this was a German repro body built in 1950, but having just taken these pictures and tweaked the contrast to make lettering crisp, I notice some stamped numbers (very American-looking) underneath the plate.

So I am now begining to wonder if it might be a rebuilt / reconditioned body, rather than new build.....:readbook:

DSC01167.JPG

DSC01166.JPG

Hi

The stake post in the picture is welded to the body, but would not a U.S. manufacture been spot welded?

The crossmembers under the body, I understand U.S. WW2 were tapered from above the chassis to the outer sill where as european manufacture were straight?

Interesting topic.

That body has straight crossmembers - the last 2" taper up at 45 deg.

So warrior - any clues from your 353 body as to original or rebuilt? Note the German body plate means nothing more than 'built in Germany', as this particular truck was a French army example. The Allies were working hard to help the immediate post war German manufacturing industry recover, hence contracts placed for bodies.

The whole GMC rebuild thing is a very complex history - doubt we'll ever totally crack it!

I have a poor copy of an article from Army Motors of unknown date by Pierre Izarie, giving details and many great photos of the rebuild programme operated by Reserve de Generale du Material (ERGMA - I have a rebuilt gearbox with an ERGMA plate) at Neuvy Pailloux, running from 1949 and rebuilding over 18,000 GMC cargo trucks. Looks like they were all for the French Army.

Interestingly several photos show they were rebuilding/repairing many wooden bodies....

The mod was done late war because the stake pockets were rusting out. I will post the source as soon as I can dig it up... IIRC it was either a late Army Motors or a TB from GM. There were two methods. One was the common stake pocket notch, but later construction beds have a hole stamped into the sheet metal in the pocket itself.

Here are some pics of my composite bed with the 'bottom drain holes'. Note this is also the only type of bed that has the 'wire loop' tie downs. I have not seen any other bed save composite ones with the wire loops.

http://www.tm9-801.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=145

The Yellow Lab is TJ, my Motor Sargent and all around pooper on the lawn.

I also believe it was the Netherlands that moved the headlights to under the front fenders instead of behind the grill. To be honest, I've not seen a picture of them mounted that way, and I have a Dutch CCKW TM that I can look over.

Edited by deadline
spellingz

Its the easiest way to tell the composite beds from the steel ones without looking at the flooring. I have gone through all the 'big name' books (the GMC A Universal Truck, The French CCKW book, the Tankograd CCKW book, SNLs, and even SUP/TUP and cargo bed construction manuals) none show the wire loops except on composite beds.