Matador front axles

utt61

I was looking at a rather nice Matador timber tractor last night and noticed that the front axle had a modification - a continuous web was welded the full width of the axle to strengthen the casing, from swivel to swivel and under the diff. It was a very professional job, the web was flat but with a beaded lower edge, and it wasn't quite vertical - it sloped forwards slightly. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera so no pictures are available, and I didn't note any of the serial numbers etc off the vehicle.

I have never seen a Mat axle quite like it. It looked to be too good a job not to be original, and the owner had been told that it indicated that the Mat may have started life as an air-portable vehicle.

Can anyone tell me more? Anyone seen anything like it?

That is exactly what it was, many thanks! I mistook it for being welded because it wasn't too easy to see (being in the mud in the woods and dusk) and the radius along the 'join' between the tube and the flange looked a bit like a fillet weld (at least that is my excuse and I'll stick to it). Being cast also explains the 'bead' along the edge.

So by the sound of it this was really just a heavy-duty alternative axle tube.

Thanks.