Swinbrook 2010

Once again the North Oxfordshire and Cotswolds MVT had their annual road run and get together at Swinbrook. This year we had our highest number of attendees with 37 vehicles.

On Saturday morning we set off for our road run. This had been organised by Don, Tony and Bill. Our first stop was at the village of Asthall Which is where the Mitford family (as in Adolf Hitler and Oswald Moseley fame) lived. We stopped while Bill gave us a brief talk on the history:

IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_2957.jpg

Then we drove through Burford up to the Windrush airfield where we explored the control tower and had another brief talk by Bill on the history of the site:

IMG_2959.jpg

IMG_2960.jpg

IMG_2965.jpg

Then I went on to explore a pilbox which was in very good condition:

IMG_2971.jpg

I forget the designation of it but it has an AA position inside which you have to climb up to:

IMG_2970.jpg

A bracket for something on top. I see the person who took away whatever it was had carefully replaced the nuts:

IMG_2966.jpg

While up there Chris took an embarassing photo of me which i am sure he will post later on. Not sure what he is doing here. Some sort of hand gesture thing:

IMG_2968.jpg

Phew, he's going away now:

IMG_2969.jpg

Many more photos to follow.

Edited by Great War truck

The next stop was for lunch at the Mill Inn at Withington. This was a great pub and the staff were not at all phased by being invaded by such a large number of people in green who filled up the car park with MV's.

IMG_2980.jpg

IMG_2979.jpg

IMG_2978.jpg

IMG_2975.jpg

Next stop was the airfield at Chedworth, where we lined up on the peri track and were treated to a mini flying display. Here you can just make out a Lancaster and Spitfire:

IMG_3000.jpg

A few of us went on to explore the buildings and came across this fine hut:

IMG_2983.jpg

IMG_2984.jpg

And also this shed. We think it might have been a stores at one end and MT at the other:

IMG_2990.jpg

IMG_2988.jpg

IMG_2987.jpg

Thanks Chris. It was great to have you and all the Champ owners there.

Here is another picture of the MT shed:

IMG_2986.jpg

or is the fire station?

We went in to another shed, where John examined the electrics so we could work out how the building had been used.

IMG_2991.jpg

The roof was collapsing so we had to look in through the windows only.

IMG_2995.jpg

IMG_2996.jpg

IMG_2997.jpg

I said it was a mini airdisplay:

IMG_3001.jpg

IMG_3002-1.jpg

This was I think a Super Sabre jet. It's speed was incredible as was the ability of the pilot. Quite amazing

IMG_3004.jpg

Then back to the club for a barbecue and prizes. Chris got the prize for coming the furthest (Brighton) and the Humber won the prize for most interesting vehicle.

IMG_3008.jpg

The next day was warm and sunny (compared with the showers we had had the day before):

As we were getting ready to go this Foden Drops squeezes in through the gate and unloaded:

IMG_3009.jpg

IMG_3010.jpg

We then set out for our road run to Ditchley Park:

IMG_3011.jpg

IMG_3013.jpg

Ditchley Park was used by Winston Churchill as a residence during WW2. It was believed that he was staying at Bleheim Palace, but he would go through the gates, transfer to a truck which would drive him out of the back gates straight to Ditchley. He used it for meetings and wrote many of his best known speeches here. The windows above the door was his office:

IMG_3017.jpg

IMG_3016.jpg

We parked our vehicles outside the house and had a talk about the history of Ditchley.

IMG_3018.jpg

IMG_3020.jpg

This site is not open to the public and it really was a major coup to be able to get in.

Edited by Great War truck

We had a reshuffle of the MV's until we found an appropriate WW2 lineup:

IMG_3026.jpg

IMG_3031.jpg

IMG_3030.jpg

IMG_3029.jpg

IMG_3028.jpg

Followed by a Champ lineup:

IMG_3045.jpg

Then we moved on to Enstone airfield for another barbecue and some drinks in the flying club house:

IMG_3048.jpg

IMG_3049.jpg

IMG_3050.jpg

IMG_3047.jpg

A brilliant weekend away and many thanks to everyone who came and made it so special. We will see you all next year.

Tim

Thanks to all the organisers of this fantastic weekend and all those who attended.We came up from Bournemouth not knowing what to expect,and were far from disappointed.(If you can make it next year,I advise you to go,it really is great).You guys are a credit to the hobby,the organisation was second to none,and the atmosphere was very warm and friendly,especially to those from outside your club area....We will be back,no question!!

All the very best to all of you who were there

Mark

Thanks for a great weekend the road runs were fantastic and the organisers couldnt have done more to make us feel welcome.

A few photos/update is on my blog:

http://118thsignalsregiment.blog.co.uk/

Many Thanks

Steve

Please Support Bournemouth Aviation Museum

Military Vehicle and Cockpit Day

Sunday 26th September

www.aviation-museum.co.uk

Edited by 118thsignalsregiment

I'm not a member yet, just started to look for my first MV. As new recruit I was invited for this fantastic event for the very first time. I did only the Sunday run.

I was absolutely amazed how well organised it was, how interesting was the place which we visited, how friendly all the members are. BIG, BIG THANK YOU!!!

Here are few pics I took.

DSC_5608.jpg

DSC_5613.jpg

DSC_5581.jpg

DSC_5623.jpg

DSC_5611.jpg