Is this the correct blackout light for a wartime Jeep in British service ?

Ian L

Hi Guys I'm looking for a blackout / driving light for a British wartime GPW and saw this on ebay, is it correct and how much is it worth ? ebay number 250673115072

Edited by Ian L
Forgot to paste link to ebay

You need to look for a Butler blackout headlight. This one on ebay is not correct for a British jeep. John.

I agree, but you need one that hangs upside down with the retaining clamp for the mask the other side to the mounting bolt. Butler or Lucas (they look virtually identical but the masks are not interchangeable) is required. To see if it is Butler or Lucas, look for a B or L at the start of the ID stamped on the light and mask.

I agree, but you need one that hangs upside down with the retaining clamp for the mask the other side to the mounting bolt. Butler or Lucas (they look virtually identical but the masks are not interchangeable) is required. To see if it is Butler or Lucas, look for a B or L at the start of the ID stamped on the light and mask.

Loads of info, cheers Robert. But I would like to know what they both look like so I know what I'm looking for ? could you send a link please mate ?

Also would a british Jeep have one or 2 as most photos show one covering the L/H lamp but I have seen 2 photos of RAF Jeeps with 2 fitted ?

Thanks again Ian

Hello.

Is there someone who could be so kind and show a picture of these correct BO lights?

Are looking for one for my Jeep, which will be set up with British markings.

Has previously been told that the light that here was on E-bay was also used on British vehicles. Is this misinformation?

Regards

Frank

Here are photos of some headlights of the type I think you need. I have had a good look at them and I cannot find any manufacturer or Military markings, so I think they are civilian tractor units. Before you ask, No they are not for sale.

P8043646.jpg

P8043645.jpg

Did British Jeeps have one or two headlights, Yes. It seems to be unofficial and whatever was to hand - it was wartme. Check out wartime photos for details as to what is common. I do not know of any manuals on the installtion and assume this mod was done at unit level with any parts available, hence the use of tractor headlights which could have come from the station's David Brown tractor, for example. Try a classic tractor parts source as these headlights were common in the 1930-50 period.

About the best I can do.

Hi Robert your 2 lamp bowls are exactly the same as the pair fitted to my 44 GPW but mine have rims and modern sealed beam units fitted, did they ever fit blackout covers to these bowls and if so do you have a photo ? or know where I might find the offending articals ? thanks for you help, Ian

the type shown are butler headlights but as litchy says tractor ones ,the differance is were the wires come out ,ww2 jeep butlers the wire comes out of the side ,this is so the wires don`t rub on the bonnet when it`s closed ,there are also a slim type butler light much the same as the ones in the photo ,the glasses on butler and lucus light are seperate to the backing and are fitted with a gasket and retaining clips ,repro are obtainable or it`s a hunt for an original pair

top tip don`t try putting h4 modern units in the shells they don`t fit ,they are very close but they get stuck in the rim

jonny loot

the type shown are butler headlights but as litchy says tractor ones ,the differance is were the wires come out ,ww2 jeep butlers the wire comes out of the side ,this is so the wires don`t rub on the bonnet when it`s closed ,there are also a slim type butler light much the same as the ones in the photo ,the glasses on butler and lucus light are seperate to the backing and are fitted with a gasket and retaining clips ,repro are obtainable or it`s a hunt for an original pair

top tip don`t try putting h4 modern units in the shells they don`t fit ,they are very close but they get stuck in the rim

jonny loot

Hi Jonny my Butler lights did have the wiring coming out of the thread (top on a Jeep) but I drilled holes in the side as you pointed out, any idea where to get the 'repos' from ? thanks Ian

You will also see that British jeeps had the side lights on the wings instead of the American pattern side lights within the grill, John.

Hi John I have recently located 2 Butler sidelights marked 'WD' and also offered a 'NOS' light. Ian

You will also see that British jeeps had the side lights on the wings instead of the American pattern side lights within the grill, John.

I have noticed that moving or adding extra side lights was an European thing, and cannot see any Jeeps in the Far East with this mod. Source='The Wartime Jeep in British Service' by Gavin Birch

I have noticed that moving or adding extra side lights was an European thing, and cannot see any Jeeps in the Far East with this mod. Source='The Wartime Jeep in British Service' by Gavin Birch

Hi Robert I've also seen several photos of Far East Jeeps with no marker lights but 2 blackout lights in place of the headlamps so I agree it must of been a European thing to have marker lights and 1 blackout only on UK Jeeps ?

• 4 weeks later...

That is the late/post-war DP type which could be used as a blackout lamp with the flap down or as a 'normal' headlamp with it up. I assume the DP stands for dual purpose. That particular lamp is not specific for a Jeep as it has the mounting on the bottom as most vehicles, Jeep needing it on the top.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33722[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33724[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33725[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33726[/ATTACH]

Hello.

This should be a Butler lamp, but is this the right type used on Jeep?

Frank

Hi Frank thanks for getting back to me, I have found a blackout light which looks exactly the same as yours but has a top mounting so I was intending to use it on my Jeep.

Cheers Ian

That is the late/post-war DP type which could be used as a blackout lamp with the flap down or as a 'normal' headlamp with it up. I assume the DP stands for dual purpose. That particular lamp is not specific for a Jeep as it has the mounting on the bottom as most vehicles, Jeep needing it on the top.

Hi Adrian, I have found a light simular to Franks but with the mounting on the top so was going to use it for the time being untill I find the correct one.

Thanks for the info, Ian