it just had to be done...

bought myself a nice MTLB....just for fun it wont ever be more than a play thing, it wont be getting any serious CES gear or any fancy paint jobs but it will be used to play with on a regular basis...also have a spare engine, may fit this into something else...

My fave Soviet vehicle, good show :D They were basically cheap and fast so got turned into all sorts of unlikely variants. There was a longer version called the MTLBu (uglier front, one extra roadwheel) that was usually a command post. A hybrid with an MTLB-like front end but the extra roadwheel carried a 122mm howitzer turret as the 2S1. Duxford have one with an artillery-locating radar on (BIG FRED) - it's painted in desert sand so possibly Iraqi?

Great fun to drive, the 2S1 makes about 30mph cross-country so I assume the MTLB is faster? No armour to speak of (anything above 7.62 goes straight through) and the angled front gives you a terrific bow wave when fording, 95% of the water gets flung forwards and the rest ends up in the driver's lap! It has a big diesel truck engine in, I think it's the same as the KRAZ.

A load of them with a 439-like storage box on top of the hull at the back, and no turret, were used by Sweden (in a very smart green splinter camo pattern) as the Pbv401 - think they were all sold to collectors about 10 years ago.

Go on Paul, give us some pics :D Any idea of its history?

Stone