Brake lights.

Richard Grosvenor

Question

Hello

I may be stupid....and this is nothing to do with Military vehicles....but how does the brake light switch on a modern HGV work?

I've just brought a Renault Magnum as a toy but when I got it home I noticed the brake lights are stuck on. The brakes themselves are working fine.

Today I had a look under the front cowl and after a general wiggle of various things they went off but as soon as I pressed the pedal they stuck on again and no mater where I wiggled afterwards they still stay on.

I'm not sure where else to look and what to check so if anyone out there just happens to have experience of Magnum brakes and can offer some advice I would be very grateful.

Regards

Richard

ps. I've sold the ZIL :cry: but 420bhp does make up up for it :-D

width=400 height=300http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/RGrosvenor/c0_1.jpg[/img]

2 answers to this question

Hi Richard,I don't know about those particular braking system but most modern brakes use either a pressure switch attached to the master cylinder or a No (normally open) contact brake pedal switch. Look for a couple of cables attached to a sensor on the master cylinder or on one of the brake lines ,remove one of the wires and see if they go out!!!,or check down by the brake pedal for a switch in line with the the pedal arm. Sorry if I can't be more specific but that's what I'd look at first.

Regards

Steve