Jeep Trailer

Spood

I have a Bantam Jeep trailer that still has the original markings on it. The trailer belonged to the USAF 56th Fighter Group.

The question is do I keep it in it's present condition, as, though I use it and it creates great interest at shows, it is in need of some TLC, or do I take loads of photos and then give it a complete makeover. The lettering of the serial number stencilled on the rear is in a style I have not seen on any restored vehicle.

I ask because as much as I like having this trailer it would be nice to have one that matched the Jeep, perhaps I need to buy another.

I will attempt to post a picture later but I am not holding my breath.

Very nice Spood.

I think if I had that, then it wouldn't be a restoration project it would be a preservation project.

I am looking at a very unique GMC which is along the same sort of lines as this and I had a great chat with Matt as to how to approach this project and I think I would go with his advice and get it running and then in a sense 'varnish' it over to preserve the history.

Cheers

Jack.

Hi,

As Jack says we have been discussing this very subject reciently. I would always say preserve original markings if at all possible. Both my Dodge WC's are ex Eighth Air Force and I have been able to uncover a vast amount of history on them.

The way I see it once the original markings are gone they can never be replaced.

Can you post some pics? I always prefer to see a preserved vehicle over a restored one!

Matt.

Now I know that works here are a few more.

The lettering on the sides is quite faded but there are a few things you can make out.

I was edging on the side of preservation as it is quite a find. I have been in touch with someone from the 56th FG museum who wanted me to take it to one of their "do's" but it's a long way from here to Norfolk.

width=640 height=480http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Twadj/2005_0703Bantam0007.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Twadj/2005_0703Bantam0006.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Twadj/2005_0703Bantam0001.jpg[/img]

As far as I know the trailer was on a farm in Evesham from around 1946 when it was sold at a disposal sale. Quite how it got from the east of England over to this side of the country I don't know. I have had it for about three years now and it went to Normandy in June 2004 which was a great trip. I just thought it was about time I did something about keeping it in one piece. My dilemma is that my Jeep is marked as 30 Corps and I would like a trailer that matches in British livery.

Any volounteer sponsors out there? :wink:

When The Eighth USAAF departed the UK in 1945 much equipment was left behind. The majority of the vehicles were sold at auction from Chalgrove in Oxfordshire(formerly the base of the 7th Photo Recon Group,USAAF).

To use my Dodges as an example,the WC-52 ended up on a farm in Herfordshire where it stayed from 1947 to 1998,and the WC-56 was used by a garage in South Wales for many years.

Matt.

I can see from the pics why you want to do somethig about preserving it, not easy to deal with the corrosion and still keep the original paint and markings, perhaps somebody else on the forum has come up against the same problem and found a solution. Kewelde, anybody???