chevpol

Question

• Answers 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

If that is the sand painted one, I think it belonged to a RA section based at Bovington, seen the complete outfit many times taking part in the HCVS London to Brighton run.

If belonging to Blanford, it would still be a miliatary owned and controlled vehicle and , I suggest, perfectly legal to take part in London to Brighton, but a civilian owned one would not be in the same position to do this legally.

Edited by antarmike

With regards to road Transport law, I hadn't realised that in 1953, the wartime procedures were still in place and that anyone who was over 21 and who held a car licence (group A) could drive an HGV without holding an HGV licence.

The wartime expediency of allowing any car driver over 21 to drive HGV, because so many proffesional HGV drivers were in the forces, is talked about as due to come to an end, and when the relaxation is removed, then ,once agin , only professional drivers holding an HGV would be allowed to drive HGV's

Does anyone know when the wartime relaxation on the HGV licencing laws actually ended?

Don't know if it is the same thing, but I remember it like this..

I had just started working as a plant fitter in 1970, I had been driving AEC 760 dump trucks for some while before that, all of the other fitters on the firm with car licences where granted HGV licences under grandfather rights around that time, so they could do road tests, use the low lowader etc..

I did not get one as being the new boy and not having driven HGVs for that firm for six months, I was not eligable and they would not do the relevant paper work for me.

In my next job I was still able to drive their RL Bedford recovery on my car licence though, but I suppose that was not an HGV.