FV102 Striker Questions

xtreme

Hi a couple of questions on my fv102 . Just got it the other day , it was a non runner , looks like been stood for some time , anyway after 1 hr and stripping the carb we got it running .

Never owned one of these or had anything to do with one . looking at the controls there are 3 foot pedals left gear change right accelerator and middle not sure ????? fells like nothing there. . then theres the 2 yokes are they just the steering brakes to operate the very small brake pads on the output shafts . ?

Then to the left there a ratchet handle looks like some kind of hand brake . ???

I know this may sound stupid to most but cant get the thing to move and just wondering if I am missing something.

when i engage gear the shafts out of the box turn but no track movement could there be somethng on the final drives that needs switching as it has been towed around for transport .

And I will try and get a handbook.

cheers Dan

ps anyone with a striker who is willing to chat your number would be great

Edited by xtreme
Question

Dan,

You need to buy and read a manual! But I'll give you a few tips.

The tillers are the steering, RH tiller applies the steering brake on the LH of the gearbox and vice versa. The ratchet mechanism is the handbrake. Above it and next to the main switch box is the forward/reverse lever. Pull this towards you for forwards and away from you for reverse. (It sounds like you have yours in neutral). Along the floor you have the accelerator pedal, brake pedal and gear change pedal. To change gear you press down with your heel, to change down press down with your toe.

Are the top hats missing from the final drives? If they are then chances are the quill shafts have been disengaged for towing.

Chris

While I am at it, it sounds like you need to repair or replace the brake master cylinder. You'll enjoy this one as you have to remove the tillers, GCP and part of the brake pedal. Then disconnect the accelerator and remove the floor plate. All of this is easier with the top deck off. I've swapped a master cylinder whilst lying on the drivers seat of the Sabre, with the top deck on, at a show in the rain before. :nut:

Chris

Thanks for your replies .

Chris the top hat reply is sounding good as the striker has been towed around . not actually sure what they are ,what they look like and there location . will visit the striker tomorrow after work and take another look . if they are removed is it a case of just getting replacements .

Thanks dan.

ps. is the master cylinder a cvrt part or is it fitted to other vehicles

Dan,

The master cylinder is a CVRT part. DO NOT PUT BRAKE FLUID ANYWHERE NEAR CVRT BRAKES! They use ISO10 hydraulic oil only.

The top hat is in the centre of the final drive, retained by 3 screws. See photo.

Chris

Sabre 004.jpg

surely the L/H tiller operates the L/H steering brake and not the right, as previously posted?:nut:

No, LH tiller applies RH steering brake and vice versa. I know it's not what you think, but trust me it's all to do with the differential arrangement in the gearbox. I will post a diagram tonight.