Land Rover clutch headaches.

TooTallMike

I'm feeling stupid but...

We have a 2.5 n/a diesel 110 LR with a clutch problem: you can be driving along quite happily and suddenly the clutch will start slipping. This mainly manifests itself when under load e.g. loaded and towing a trailer, but has also done it going uphill empty. . It does it when hot and cold and is not associated with gear changes or changes in speed or incline. The 1st time it did it I was doing 60mph on a flat section of motorway with a trailer. I cured it temporarily by releasing pressure at the slave cyl. bleed nipple.

In chronological order we have replaced the slave cylinder, friction plate, pressure plate, release bearing, master cylinder, flexi pipe, and tried a second master cylinder. The steel pipes are clear. I now suspect the gearbox input shaft may be bent but it could also be the flywheel.

Does anyone have any thoughts or tests to suggest before we pull the engine and box out next weekend. This is driving us mad!

- Mike

Hello Mike,

Just a thought, have you got free play on your clutch pedal. By this I mean that when you start to depress the clutch the first half inch will feel like it's doing nothing then you will then feel the pedal doing something. If you haven't got this free play the clutch system can "hydraulic" meaning that at each operation of the pedal the clutch will hold on until eventually it will slip because the pressure can't release. To give yourself some freeplay shorten the master cylinder pushrod until it's free. Hope this makes sense and helps, if not I'm sure someone else can explain it better.

Dougy

Cheers Dougy,

I understand what you're saying and I will check tonight. I think we looked at that but it wouldn't hurt to double-check. The fact that the system is pressurising suggests that the problem is in some way hydraulic, unless something is heating the fluid, causing it to expand. (seen that before - PITA to fault-find) I certainly don't want to pull the engine (again) for no good reason.

- Mike

• 5 months later...

Well, we pulled then engine to replace the gearbox (cheers Karl!). Latest wisdom is that the problem is caused by worn mainshaft splines. I'm not convinced but we'll see. Can't test it yet as I want to change the steering box before putting the radiator etc. back in.

[attachment deleted by admin]