85 Anniversary of British Liegon (Wimborne) Dorset

Hi all,

yesterday attended the above, though the number of vehicles was (IMO) small 14 in total, had a great time and met some interesting veterans, including Ian Monroe of the highland fusiliers who was awarded the M.C.

Ian participated in the battle for Normandy, and Caen east of Hill 112 in the `Scottish corridor` a very interesting man and also a very nice guy also the last surviving officer of the regt. from the battle

DSCF0034.jpg

DSCF0035.jpg

DSCF0038.jpg

DSCF0039.jpg

DSCF0040.jpg

DSCF0041.jpg

DSCF0047.jpg

DSCF0044.jpg

It was quite a short parade, but the organiser backed out of us parking in the field where the event was being held, non the less Wimborne high street was a great place to meet and chat to the general public.

Ashley

It is always an honour, and these guys really appreciate it, we attended a parade for them last year and these guys could`t wait to get back in the vehicles BUT protocol reigned !!!! even though he was an officer, the members of the legion who held a higher position than him had to ride in the first jeep and himself in the second :-o but i think, on sight of my daughters Scottish flag, and the sound of the wifes Scottish accent there was no way he was traveling in another vehicle :-D some other veterans also wanted to ride in the jeep but he asked me to send them to another vehicle so we could stay together as a group.

The only time i got worried was, he said when we enter the square i wish to stand up while we are moving :roll: well we he managed to stand and gave several salute`s to the applauding crowd but i was happier when he sat down again.

One slight drawback to the day....... i believe a youth spat at friend and former serving soldier (as he drove past )who we know as Hong Kong Dave because they thought he was Japanese :evil: wish i had known at the time a civil vocal exchange would have taken place.

Ashley