ep90 all the way?

Hi

Ive read the manual and it states for tracta suspension and hubs i use oep220 ergo ep90 but im fairly sure i read somewhere that the hubs actually use engine oil? cant think why but im refilling everything at the moment and thought id check - also the hubs can only be filled via the large brass bolts on the hubs? the grease nipples inside the wheel only fill the suspension?

Hi

Ive read the manual and it states for tracta suspension and hubs i use oep220 ergo ep90 but im fairly sure i read somewhere that the hubs actually use engine oil? cant think why but im refilling everything at the moment and thought id check - also the hubs can only be filled via the large brass bolts on the hubs? the grease nipples inside the wheel only fill the suspension?

Mark,

I guess this is a Fox CVR(W) you are asking about........do not put grease in the nipples on the suspension wishbones, use gear oil.

ok so ep90 is the way forward then - thanks

Richard - gear oil equates to ep90? in the manual it states oep220 but I know you've worked on the cvrw alot so what type of gear oil would you recommend?

cheers

Mark

ok so ep90 is the way forward then - thanks

Richard - gear oil equates to ep90? in the manual it states oep220 but I know you've worked on the cvrw alot so what type of gear oil would you recommend?

cheers

Mark

Mark,

OEP220 was just a military designation, (Oil. Extreme Pressure), it equates to 80w/90 gear oil or EP90 / Hypoid 90. The wishbones hold a reserve of oil that lubricates the suspension pins, that is why you will always have drips in this area.

Mark,

OEP220 was just a military designation, (Oil. Extreme Pressure), it equates to 80w/90 gear oil or EP90 / Hypoid 90. The wishbones hold a reserve of oil that lubricates the suspension pins, that is why you will always have drips in this area.

Having said this one one occasion being ex-REME I tried to inject oil into the suspention links of an A Squadron Royal Yeomanary Fox I found it full of grease and it took a lot of pumping to displace this with oil.

The next day there was a puddle of oil under each wheel station so I did'nt bother again.

Knowing crews I would immagine most of the squadrons vehicles were so greased.

The other favourite one was gease in the steering boxes of MJ's as they have what crews assume ro be grease.