No 62 wirless set Jeep mounted.

Hi Folks,

Bit of an odd one this, I normally spend my time restoring Artillery but recently put together a mock up of a forward Artillery observation post.I picked the 'wooden jeep 'up several weeks ago with the remains of a 62 set and a 1945 dated manual with fitting instuctions.

The jeep fittings were also made to be removed and used on mule packs which carried the radio,batteries,charger and all the ancilleries.I am still short of a few bits but its very close.

The jeep is very similar to those used by the artillery towards the end of the war and into the 1950's as forward observation posts who's role would be to radio co-ordinates back to artillery batteries.It makes a good display although its in with the yank stuff.

If anyone has a spare war time aeriel base ,I would be interested. :cool2:

Rob...........................rnixartillery.

DSCF3674..jpg

DSCF3672..jpg

DSCF3671..jpg

DSCF3668..jpg

DSCF3666..jpg

DSCF3683..jpg

DSCF3678..jpg

God, that makes me feel very old! I repaired these at base workshops, and even updated them with transistorised power units in place of the rotary transformer. I will have a bit of a look in the loft, may have a base.

Hello Andrew

Thats kind of you ,Thanks :thumbsup:

Had a quick look, but can't find one to hand. I will have a better look as soon as I can, so you may be lucky yet. I do remember the base that was fitted to the 62 set, being fitted to the carriers as well. As we had to take some off, to keep 62 sets repaired.

The 62 set was flown in Austers, for air spotters. The radio was fitted face up on the cockpit floor, between the pilot and observer. A fixed wire antenna was fitted to the underside of the plane.

• 8 months later...
Had a quick look, but can't find one to hand. I will have a better look as soon as I can, so you may be lucky yet. I do remember the base that was fitted to the 62 set, being fitted to the carriers as well. As we had to take some off, to keep 62 sets repaired.

The 62 set was flown in Austers, for air spotters. The radio was fitted face up on the cockpit floor, between the pilot and observer. A fixed wire antenna was fitted to the underside of the plane.

There is a WS62 mounted in an Auster in the Museum of Army Flying at Middle Wallop.