Radioactiv material found!

Sam

Question

Hello all,

in an eastern blok lorry i recently acquired i have found radioactive material. it's labelled as such, but i suspect it to be a geiger counter. Obviously it's essential I am sure before we go anywhere in it, so all pointers gratefully recieved.

many thanks,

sam

DSCF2325..jpg

DSCF2319..jpg

DSCF2318..jpg

DSCF2317..jpg

DSCF2309..jpg

DSCF2304..jpg

DSCF2324..jpg

16 answers to this question

what you need is a survey meter. If there is a NDT company nearby you could ask them to run a meter over it, before going to extremes. Typically NDT guys know more about radiation than bureaucrats

Wheres it fitted and any idents on the box etc?

http://ondra-elektronik.sweb.cz/bleskojistky.htm

translation

Recently I came across a lightning type TESLA 11TN40 that Vrabel in Roznov. Intrigued me that it is written on them radioactive and there is a warning triangle, so here after searching and found that the isotope is there because of ionization that lit the nžším tension but I failed it yet zapálit.Parametry see datasheet below.

As usual Emphasise that in any event not responsible for bodily injury and property caused by this device is obvious that you hope it's slightly radioactive!

This is an obsolete special tube manufactured by Tesla, a Czech company. You can see the specifications by going to http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=cs&u=http://katalogelektronek1960.mysteria.cz/udspecel.html&ei=2knMS7y7IcH7lwfqycGqCg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBEQ7gEwAQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3DTesla%2B11TN40%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dactive%26sa%3DG . There many electronic components that contain very small amounts of radioactive materials of different isotopes. Please note that it is contrary to law to dispose of these by discarding. You should notify the UK Dept of Health for proper disposal http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publichealth/Healthprotection/Ionisingradiation/index.htm .

Is it possible "surge discharge lamp" could also be a fuse of some sort? Not sure why you'd paint a lamp black. They have the look of old style fuses in holders.

The boss suggested they may be mercury fuses, but if you're sure they're radioactive then maybe not.

Hi Sam,

I don't know UK regulation, however it would be good to contact an NDT guy or similar first

I heard of something similar here in the Netherlands

An MV trading company was trying to transport an old electric generator to the scrapyard and they where not allowed in

The scrapyard had an Geigercounter and it went nuts and they where told to take it back and contact the proper authorities

However they did not contact the authorities, but some one who has experience with radio active material

After he checked the generator it turned out that the gauges of the control panel had an treatment with radioactive material to make them glow in the dark

The radiation was not dangerous, not even harmful on an long term base

However it was enough to trigger the Geigercounter

MichelK

MichelK

.............After he checked the generator it turned out that the gauges of the control panel had an treatment with radioactive material to make them glow in the dark

The radiation was not dangerous, not even harmful on an long term base

However it was enough to trigger the Geigercounter

Old gauges (moving coil meters) on electrical equipment -even on old radio sets often have luminous painted dials which has lost its ability to glow due to the radioactive metal base continuing to decay -oxidising to black.

Most of these moving coil meters were painted with thorium and while it will not cause injury by iradiation, the material itself is dangerous if swallowed or inhailed- even in minute quantities and this can happen if the paint is scraped off.

It's one of the reasons why old aircraft used as targets have the instrument panels stripped out- there are several sites in the UK near old ROF factories where air frames were scrapped after WW2 that have radioactive contamination because instrument panels were burnt in bulk to retrieve aluminium.

With regard to the components shown in the pics, it is possible that these are calibration devices for testing equipment including gigercounters but more commonally testing medical/dental x ray equipment, they are sometimes inaccurately called Diodes. If so they are generally pretty safe as technicians handle them in numbers without ill effects, however if in doubt get expert advice, in the UK I would think the fire service would be the first place to get advice.

Steve

I have put the contents of it under professional radioisotope detecting equipment and it didn't detect any Alfa or Beta or Gamma radiation, and it's the regulators that came to me with the "diode" and I can't find anything.

Any idea what I should be looking for? What element might have been there at manufacture time (in the 11tn40)?

I'm a bit under pressure to find out what it is, because it can't be reported as "not radioactive" as it has that sign printed on it, but I get more readings from the wall next to me than from it.

I have put the contents of it under professional radioisotope detecting equipment and it didn't detect any Alfa or Beta or Gamma radiation, and it's the regulators that came to me with the "diode" and I can't find anything.

Any idea what I should be looking for? What element might have been there at manufacture time (in the 11tn40)?

I'm a bit under pressure to find out what it is, because it can't be reported as "not radioactive" as it has that sign printed on it, but I get more readings from the wall next to me than from it.

What's on the other side of that wall??:wow:

Perhaps the items that were marked radioactive never were ?:???

Normally something is only considered radioactive if it exceeds a specified rate. So if it does not exceed the specified rate it should be acceptable. Many items are radiactive but don't have flashing lights and bells around them i.e. gauges (already mentioned), smoke alarms (thats why it is not good to pull them apart, or kids eat them :D), Iroquois intake casings (a pet hate) etc etc

It may not be emitting as the shell of the component may be sufficient to shield it. So if its not broken open its safe.

So just need to find the limits of where you are going. I would think in the long term if you dont need those bits I would be replacing them with something else as they may corrode and puncture.

You need to get the hard facts as whenever you mention radioactive and even magnetism, public servant's and desk sitter's auto response is always 'NO'. Mostly because they don't have a clue.

If you PM where you are taking it or where it is I may be able to get the regulations for that coutry but most follow the ICRP (International Commission of Radiological Protection). Normally there will be an exemption table..

I was going to post the table in here but its in word, so too many words. I'll try to pdf it as also has one for gauges, watches etc.

Well, the thing is, like I've said, I opened the shielding (witch is a bit thick) and still no readings. I'm not trying to transport it to another country, I'm trying to dispose of it according to the "Radioactive Waste management rules" but to do that I have to find what Isotope is in there, and mark it accordingly. It can't be "oh it's probably nothing". (the guy that put the "radioactive" sign on it just gave me loads of trouble)

So, any ideas on what's inside?

damn I thought I found that before, now I can't find the link...

this guy is selling them online http://www.rh-landorf.com/east.php he may have some documents, especially if you email wanting to buy some :D

also this guy http://www.electrontubes.info/dev.php?d=1

hmmmm.... like following a maze http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_(company)

maybe these guys as they were part of Tesla..... http://www.jj-electronic.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

ok best link i can find http://www.tesla.cz/en/military-telecommunications

I contacted the company's whose websites you put in the first two links and they both answered panicked to the phone, without even checking the part on their database "WE DON'T SELL RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL, AND WE NEVER HAD, the parts are for radios, and are active in the radio spectrum, NOT RADIOACTIVE". I wouldn't be surprised if they called the local anti-terrorist enforcement saying someone contacted them wanting to buy RADIOACTIVE equipment and information. :|