Ferret plugs, coil and dizzy stuff

Tkelly1250

I just replaced the wires for the spark plugs and the ignition coil. I learned a couple of things:

1. Glad I did it as the ignition wire connection at the cap was not good, the spike had not entered the wire correctly and the wire was barely touching the contact.

2. The original wire is 7mm.

3. It was easy to push the new 7mm wire back through the braided conduit. I put a little dielectric grease around the end of the wire and it slid thorugh easily. I got new wire with the spark plug & coil connectors fitted on. The other end has no need for connector as the connection in the distributor cap is just a spike pushed into the wire.

4. The spike connectors on the distributor cap are delicate. When I removed the wires I found they were a bit bent. I tried to straighten one and it broke right off. Fortunately I had a spare cap so it was easy to replcace. Once I cut the wires to the right length they push easily onto the spikes for connection.

I think if you are going to put the new electronic ignition and coil it is a good idea to replace the old wires and hopefully eliminate a weak link.

Andrew

06CC12

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic