land rover tyres

rapier rob

I've got 7.50 x 16 - XCL's on the Rapier, but am having trouble finding replacements as they have been out of production for a while now.

Does anyone know if any other tyre has the same tread pattern? or whether I've got to make the change to a "road pattern" tyre.

I'd still like to keep to a "military" tyre as I've grown to like the 30mph + whistle :-D

I had one burst on the way to beltring which was an experience I well could have done without.

Apart from that, a cracking week that went too quickly :cry:

Hi Rob

The current military tyre is the Goodyear G90 which is knobbly and should howl nicely but may not look right on the 127, XCLs can still be had secondhand. Other choice if you shop around are 235/85R16 Mud Terrains by BF Goodrich or others. Look here for whats about http://www.4x4tyres.co.uk/tyres.html http://www.bronco4x4.com/

Don't need a speedo in the 101, just listen to the howl of my Continentals overlaid by the burble of the V8 8-)

Hi Rob

I run my ex army 110 on Colway mud terrains now after going through a similar thought process to yourself a few months ago.I wanted a more original military tyre originaly,but was advised against it so looked at civvy stuff.My heart wasn't in all terrains as I wanted an agressive look still so posted a question on the UK Land Rover forum.Almost caused a riot as they all disagreed with each other but mud terrains won in the end.Only downsides were wet weather grip on tarmac (yet to be experienced!!) and noise levels!!!! Yes,they wail at anything above 35mph.Lovely!!!!

I must confess to going with 16x7 8spoke wheels to go wider too although Colway will do a size to suit standard width wheels.Also I do live on an island with a 40mph speed limit if that makes any difference.

I really do think tyres are a very personal choice.Some people are prepared to put up with different characteristics than others.I may feel differently about mine when it rains!!!! One other great characteristic of the Colways was price!! Around £50 each!!

Good luck with yoru hunt

Daren

Daren

Daren you shouldn't have too many problems with MT's in the wet, I have used them on a Range Rover and a Defender with no trouble at all, it's when you use a very aggressive cross ply such as Firestone SAT or General SAG that you have to take care.

• 1 month later...

I by-passed XCLs on my 110, going straight from way-past-their-best Avon Rangemasters (the original fit to V8s) to new G90s. Having had XCLs before, the G90 is a huge improvement (but nothing like as predictable as the road-biased Rangemaster). The G90 is also much quieter than the XCL, much more useful off tarmac than the Rangemaster and, hopefully, longer-lived than the XCL.

Oh - and my reason for going the G90 route was that Rangemasters were going to cost me £80 each for five - but I was able to obtain five brand new G90s for... £150.

(Needless to say, that source has dried up!)

I can see why; the initial drive was actually rather scary as the 110 wallowed around corners it would have previously flown around on Rangemasters. However, I've become used to them now and the G90s are, eventually, predicatable in their apparent waywardness, even with a loaded Widetrack on the back.

They'll do - particularly after what they cost me!

I've got 7.50 x 16 - XCL's on the Rapier, but am having trouble finding replacements as they have been out of production for a while now.

Does anyone know if any other tyre has the same tread pattern? or whether I've got to make the change to a "road pattern" tyre.

I'd still like to keep to a "military" tyre as I've grown to like the 30mph + whistle :-D

I had one burst on the way to beltring which was an experience I well could have done without.

Apart from that, a cracking week that went too quickly :cry:

Hi Rob,

Witham's has got some xcl's http://www.witham-sv.com/infopage.php?ID=841&Overide=1

Guy...

This last week I have been through tyres like toilet paper and I am forced to look at new rims and tyres for my GS90.

I obviously have been looking at the Goodyear G90 but having seen and read what some you have been putting, it seems that this is not the right chose.

Has anyone any advice as to what I should be buying that will do for both road and rough track?

Cheers

Paps

'd go for a B F Goodrich or General Grabber all terrain, the Bfg's are dearer than the Grabbers but check around and you should get a fairly good deal, one of the big advantages to both these makes is that you should get a big mileage out of them.

The Grabber TR pattern are fitted OE on a lot of 90's and are used by farmers and we have had no complaints . I have just bought a s/h 90 with 32k on it and the OE Grabber TR's are hardly worn.

• 3 weeks later...

I went into one of my local tyre dealers the other day and there on the shelf

was a set of 4 7.50 x 16 tyres with the same pattern as Goodyear extragrips

these were Flamingo tyres the only difference i could see was the name ,the lack of diamond patterns on the side wall and a moulding ring around the wall

and all for £50 each!!

Ian

Bodmin

Cornwall