Jeep 6 volt battery.

Trying to source a 6 volt battery from one of my battery suppliers. Is there a generic for for it ie an 063, 075 for modern cars? If not, what are the dimensions and ah I need to look for?

I use a 511 (6 volt, 105AH). It fits the bracket, but I have to hacksaw the thick rubber from the top at each end to fit the frame -no trouble, but will no doubt invalidate any guarantee.

Bought one recently for £52.59 all in.

-Roger.

Edited by Eugene
Correcting punctuation.

blame the Chinese! They are buying up scarp and batteries for their ** Electric bicycles! I've just bought two small 45ah hours for £149 delivered. They take the size of one large 6 volt battery. There is a reason for this! When I leave the vehicle I can series the two cells and put a 12 volt trickle solar charger on them.

Thanks for that Eugene, I worked out over lunch that a 511 would probably do it. Ordered one from my battery supplier, but that cost £85 odd! Where did you get one for that price?

Cornwall Battery Centre, Truro.

-Roger.

Problem is the dropper circuit requires power in its own right. Then the out put goes right down. I've got the circutry to do it but you need the cell running at top efficency. There are cells available that will do the job but they are very expensive, in the £100+ range. A decent enough trickle solar charger in 12 volt, the cheapest I've seen, again Maplin special offer was £9.99, it works well enough though. I'd reccomend one for any vehicle.

Thanks for that Eugene, I worked out over lunch that a 511 would probably do it. Ordered one from my battery supplier, but that cost £85 odd! Where did you get one for that price?

Oops! -looked at the invoice for the one I bought in 2001! The one I bought recently was £84 (£96.60 including VAT).

Apologies for any inconvenience -especially if you've booked a holiday in Cornwall!

-Roger.

• 3 months later...

Odd, on this side of the pond the price of batteries has dropped the past year, I just picked up a 12 volt for my Ford pickup from a local supplier for $69US, and the last 6volt that I bought for a GPW was less than the 12 volt by a few pennys. Scrap prices here are in the toilet since the stocke market fall, which is a good thing as scrappers are not out cutting our machinery apart after dark like they were a couple of years ago.

The best batterie I instaled in my 42 GPW had an Everready lable one, and it lived up to the name, I have removed the generator when I replaced the batterie (I do not remember why) and after dropping the new batterie in the jeep, my wife and I hopped in the jeep and drove to meet friends about 70 miles away, we returned after dark and ran with the head lights on the whole way, stopping several time on the way, never having any problem restarting, and the next day, I popped the hood, and found that I had forgotten to reattache the leads to the generator.

Best

Gus