Drawbar transporter made by JAHN???

Hi Guys,

I hope some of you bright lads can give me a good steer. DUring the Second World War, the US Army used a platform 20 ton drawbar transporter made by JAHN. It was given a reference number G610.

This tank transporter may well have been towed by Diamond T, Federal or the like. The trailer had 8 tyres in a row across the back, and 4 tyres on the drawbar dolley.

I have spent contless hours trying to find a site which shows a photo of this transporter, or detailed drawings or service manual. I keep drawing a blank. Several of these transporters arrived in NZ at the end of the War and were used by the NZ Army... now they are long gone. I have one, modified, and would love to see the original drawings, photos or species. If any one can help me I would be real pleased. Thanks. Kevin

Kevin

I tried to get some answers about an Jahn trailer before

However from your description I think the one you describe is an different type :confused:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?17285-Need-some-information-with-trailer&p=191634#post191634

If this is the one you mean, I have some additional picture's of it

MichelK

Thankyou for your interest and reply.

Yes, this is quite a different transporter to our Jahn 20 tonner. The one shown here looks more like a 35 ton model. I have not seen this model before.

Is the Jahn factory still operating?..... or was it taken over by some other Company. There must be info sitting on a shelf somewhere....one hopes.

Our model has a very rounded gooseneck, probably about a 17 or 18 foot bed then the row of eight tyres.

Lets keep fingers crossed and I will try and get a picture posted somehow.

Cheers kevin

Kevin

I tried to get some answers about an Jahn trailer before

However from your description I think the one you describe is an different type :confused:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?17285-Need-some-information-with-trailer&p=191634#post191634

If this is the one you mean, I have some additional picture's of it

MichelK

Michelk, what is interesting is a close up look at the production plate of that Jahn trailer. I have not been able to find a "Jahn trailer CO," but that plate indicates the trailer was made by Pressed staeel Co Inc in the USA which made machinery for the US during WWII...... I will check the plate on our trailer which is badly worn... cheers kevin

Michelk, what is interesting is a close up look at the production plate of that Jahn trailer. I have not been able to find a "Jahn trailer CO," but that plate indicates the trailer was made by Pressed staeel Co Inc in the USA which made machinery for the US during WWII...... I will check the plate on our trailer which is badly worn... cheers kevin

Kevin,

I have checked the original picture of the plates on this trailer and I qoute:

Manufactured by

Jahn trailer division

Pressed steel car co. inc.

So youre right it's made by an other company

However the plates also say it's an 20ton trailer

Maybe I have some picture's of the trailer you mean

I may have it somewhere in the picture folder "trailer, not a clue what it is" :rotfl:

When I find them I will post some of them, perhaps you can tell me if it is the correct one

MichelK

Have you seen this advert for one for sale in NZ?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Trailers/Single-axle/auction-277347436.htm

Is that your type? It has the gooseneck you've described.

Well Johnny.... Ill be damed..... yes, this is the exact same transporter we have and it looks real original. I will try and contact the owner to get more details. Thanks a million. The trailer for sale is in the South island of new Zealand, I live in the North, but no problems..... will keep you informed.

Cheers and happy easter Kevin

Well Johnny.... Ill be damed..... yes, this is the exact same transporter we have and it looks real original. I will try and contact the owner to get more details. Thanks a million. The trailer for sale is in the South island of new Zealand, I live in the North, but no problems..... will keep you informed.

Cheers and happy easter Kevin

Hi Kevin are you related to the famous house movers Watkins ?

Hi folks,

is it the same trailer as the one is in the picture's below :confused:

If it is, I will know how to rename the picture's of it :D

The only thing is that the rear of the trailer appears to be shorter then the one in the advert

MichelK

trailer flatbed_0.jpg

Caterpillar tract.jpg

There is a Jahn trailer in preservation with Steve Guest in Chedworth. He has taken it to GDSF, and Kemble. With M2 High speed tractor on it. Anyone got any photographs. I don't know its age but it had been with PSA for a while.

See post #! here

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?14296-What-is-the-story-on-the-Beltring-Cletrac-project&highlight=cletrac

Edited by antarmike

TM 9-2800(STANDARD MILITARY MOTOR VEHICLES) page 430,Trailer ,full,flatbed, 20 ton.As manufactured by

La Crosse Trailer and Equipment Co;Rogers Bros.Co.

This looks to be almost identical to the JAHN trailer . The Rogers is known as Model H-20-L-S-14

There is a Jahn trailer in preservation with Steve Guest in Chedworth. He has taken it to GDSF, and Kemble. With M2 High speed tractor on it. Anyone got any photographs. I don't know its age but it had been with PSA for a while.

See post #! here

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?14296-What-is-the-story-on-the-Beltring-Cletrac-project&highlight=cletrac

The transporter carrying the Cletrac has all the markings of a Jahn... the outer side frames are identical configuration to our 20 toner Low Boy.... cheers kevin

on to our 20 toner Low Boy.... cheers kevin

A couple more pics of the Jahn working in Hastings, New Zealand. Also a pic of our Guy FABX 6x4 which was the prime mover of the Jahn before we bought our first Scammell Pioneer. The Guy was a fantastic vehicle for its engine capacity and weight.

img754..jpg

img056 - Copy..jpg

img644 - Copy (2)..jpg

img083..jpg

Vic driving the G.jpg

img631 - Copy (2)..jpg

img684 - Copy..jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25238[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25237[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25236[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25235[/ATTACH]

A couple more pics of the Jahn working in Hastings, New Zealand.[ATTACH=CONFIG]25232[/ATTACH] Also a pic of our Guy FABX 6x4 which was the prime mover of the Jahn before we bought our first Scammell Pioneer. The Guy was a fantastic vehicle for its engine capacity and weight.

... and a couple of good shots of the Jahn... both photos she is in the "closed up position"

img870..jpg

img868..jpg

img869..jpg

img867..jpg

• 1 month later...