FERRET WIRING BLUES..................Wiring connectors

Hello all.

Yesterday I turned my attentions to the condition of the wiring on my ferret. In short its been condemned !

I was hoping to get away with replacing a few lengths of cable , but in reality I have accept that its at least 35 years old , and had been slowly rotting throughout that period. In some places the rubber looks oj, but the other end of the same cable (where it may have been more exposed to UV etc) the rubber is cracked. Where it has cracked the water has got in and corrosion has made the strands break. Some of the connectors are badly corroded too (see pics)

Anyway , it needs a new loom. I can source cable , but what connectors to use ? Could I de- solder the cables and recycle the old connectors - and does anyone know the best tags to use to identify the cables .

Any advice appreciated :D

Wiring 1..jpg

Wiring 2..jpg

Wiring 3..jpg

You can't get a new loom, you will have to make up the individual cables. I have replaced several sections of mine. I managed to find some other wiring harnesses with those plugs on, but made out of modern fireproof wire, which I cut to length and replaced various bits with. You sometimes see those plugs for sale on ebay too.

Chris

I've noticed on some Pigs that have served in NI, the labels must have split or become illegible or the wire has been replaced, that the wire has been marked by individual alphabetical rings.

A kit of the yellow rings would come in handy for other vehicles, but I've never seen them available in small quantities. Anyone know of a source?

Thanks Chris

I have a good friend in Derby who is :

a) ex Soldierb) A trained electronics engineer

c) a Clansman fan

D) And and ex Ferret / Saladin crew

And he is going to make me a new loom :-D Whoopee !!

He is already interested in the ferret from his previous work on the radio and intercom, and after a phone call tonight he has offered to make a loom ! Still dont know what to use for connectors - May de-solder the old one and reuse where possible ?

Although the connectors and ID tags are still of concern , the expertise is now there ( which I am sadly lacking !!)

Edited by Fugly

I've noticed on some Pigs that have served in NI, the labels must have split or become illegible or the wire has been replaced, that the wire has been marked by individual alphabetical rings.

A kit of the yellow rings would come in handy for other vehicles, but I've never seen them available in small quantities. Anyone know of a source?

Clive,

I have some of these tags on a roll, which are supposed to be printed or written on, and then heat shrunk on to the wires. Sadly they are too big for individual wires and I've never really found a use for them. I'll take a photo for you.

Chris

Chris. These things on the Pig wires are narrow yellow bands with black printing from A-Z & 0-9. Each band has the chraracter repeated about 3 times above each other. I don't think they are heat shrink ones. I have the 3-prong pliers for putting various bands on cables & wires, which I assume are used for these.

Obviously they don't look quiet as nice as the original ones. But would be nice to have a starter kit & do a bit of relabelling! When I did last look for that sort of thing all I colud find were big kits costing £100s.

Still dont know what to use for connectors - May de-solder the old one and reuse where possible ?

both the male and female versions are available on eBay in packs of 10, but the price is enormous (and normally I don't think twice about cost on Ferret stuff)

As you have found, the female versions do tend to corrode internally and cleaning them out is a right pain. The male version can easily be de/resoldered buI have found that the rubber plug bit is not always a good fit into (even new) female onnectors because the rubber has perished and shrunk enough that it's now a loose fit

the alternative is of course to use modern bullet connectors and lots of black heat shrink to get, at best, a semblance of the original

Is it a case that there are too many veriations as in mark 1 mark 2 etc of too few Vehicles over on that side of the pond for someone to make a business making wiring harness's or are there other reasons ?

Over here there are several outfits that make harness's complete with or without period correct connectors for American WWII vehicles which sadly are totally different .

Clive,

I have some of these tags on a roll, which are supposed to be printed or written on, and then heat shrunk on to the wires. Sadly they are too big for individual wires and I've never really found a use for them. I'll take a photo for you.

Chris

You can get a similar type/colour heatshrink tube on rolls from Maplins/RS Components....