Hi from sussex

Hello ,

To introduce myself ... as the user name says ... I'm a mechanic and work on Ag machinery with a lap-top mostly ! none of this " hit it wiv a big ammer " nowadays :-D ... live on the east-west sussex border and on the Greenwich meridian (give or take a few yards) .

Have just the one Mil vehicle .. an M38a1 .. its all I can afford that says Jeep and fits in a garage .. but looking forwards to having some fun this summer if the thing proves to be reliable ( which may go some way to answering the question as to why M38a1's don't seem to be very popular ) if it breaks down a lot. At least the paint will look nice as its just been repainted .

Have just the one wife, and two beautiful step daughters ( 1 now married ) and no the other ones not up for offer :laugh: , two dogs , 1 cat , hundreds if not thousands of fish in the ponds in the garden.

Well thats my intro done as requested by the mods .

Well hi there Mr Mechanic ,

Welcome to the forum , ive heard your pretty good with a hammer !!!! , who needs laptops with this green stuff anyway , im sure you will have great fun with your jeep , its no ordinary jeep is it , its a heavly armed assault weapon ,

All the best Adrian

Thanks for all the replys , I'm sure my M38a1 will be just fine , it just seems that despite being much cheaper than any other Jeep they don't seem to be anything like as popular as the MB's and Hotchkiss Jeeps ,its not like they are hard to find , agree they don't have the classic Jeep look and getting good repro parts is harder but you can get two for the price of one !!! .

Going to annoy loads of the purist's because even though it was a Dutch Neekaf its going to be getting the American treatment due mainly to the fact everyone else I know has American vehicles , and finding any meaningful history of its Dutch service is nearly impossible so any unit markings would only be a guess.

Mind you hrs of trawling the tinternet have not exactly produced tens of pics of M38a1's in any Mil service.

Have you had a look at the photo's on M715jeep.com (think I got that right) .There is a page for M38A1's amongst other things with a few in service pics as well as for sale & sold .

( or even vintagemilitarytrucks.com )

Edited by snowtracdave
correction

Thanks for all the replys , I'm sure my M38a1 will be just fine , it just seems that despite being much cheaper than any other Jeep they don't seem to be anything like as popular as the MB's and Hotchkiss Jeeps ,its not like they are hard to find , agree they don't have the classic Jeep look and getting good repro parts is harder but you can get two for the price of one !!! .

Going to annoy loads of the purist's because even though it was a Dutch Neekaf its going to be getting the American treatment due mainly to the fact everyone else I know has American vehicles , and finding any meaningful history of its Dutch service is nearly impossible so any unit markings would only be a guess.

Mind you hrs of trawling the tinternet have not exactly produced tens of pics of M38a1's in any Mil service.

Hi and welcome to the forum,

wether or not you go American is up to you have chat to see if the Dutch guys on here can help.

Ashley

Welcome to the forum, does the current wife have an unmarried sister?

R

No ! , and her brothers married too ! so you'll just have to keep looking :D .

Ref Ashley's post - seems all records of individual vehicles service were destroyed by the Dutch when the vehicles were disposed of . My step daughters are half Dutch but thats no help either :-D , am in contact with some Dutch Neekaf owners , have seen some nice pics of Canadian M38a1's in a nice two colour cammo so maybe thats a good option , only thing I know for sure about it is that in service it had a gun mount in the back as when I went to fit one every hole i needed to drill was in perfect line with a hole that had been welded up , Dutch guys tell me that they stopped using .50s on mounts because they caused stress cracks in the tub and chassis , hence welding up the holes. Maybee !