Transporters & Wreckers

Thanks Tony and Les. I'd never heard of the Sterling, just been looking at some 1940s pictures of them on the Ken Goudy site. You'd swear it was A Diamond T from a distance. The Kenworth and trailer looks a pretty useful beast. What date would that be from?

Hi folks,

let's throw in an Sterling HCS 330 from an more recent date

The picture was taken at ArmyCars, Zwijndrecht - The Netherlands on the 6th of may 2009

To be honest, from an distance it looked better then it realy was, also the boom has been shortened

Michel

Sterling HCS 330-0.jpg

I've always thought the Sterling looked out of proportion - almost ugly even - for a heavy truck. The cab and bonnet sit far too low on the chassis, making the equipment on the back look like an outsize load. Like a heavy truck version of a Californian street rod. Compare the Sterling profile to that of the Federal. But better for dodging bullets no doubt!! They were only used by the U.S. Navy I believe.

hi tony, yes the 330 was used by the us navy, i would not have thought as a wrecker, the crane protrudes far too far from the rear of the vehicle but as a salvage crane. the gear is garwood as are the winches and the engine is a wasewka six cylinder petrol. all the best tony g.

I've always thought the Sterling looked out of proportion - almost ugly even - for a heavy truck. The cab and bonnet sit far too low on the chassis, making the equipment on the back look like an outsize load. Like a heavy truck version of a Californian street rod. Compare the Sterling profile to that of the Federal. But better for dodging bullets no doubt!! They were only used by the U.S. Navy I believe.

I have to agree with this, however only for the Sterling HCS 330

The Sterling DDS 235 is an nice looking truck, with the right proportions and its looks very similar to an Federal Model 606 wrecker

MichelK

Indeed Andy. There was a big puddle of drool at the spot from which I took the photo....... :blush:

The pool is still there, because it was very slippery when I visited the place last year

However could also have been something else :banana:

However that is indeed the Sterling DDS 235

Just for comparison, the Sterling DDS 235 parked along side the Federal Model 606

I think the Sterling 235 has powerfull look then the Federal

MichelK

overview-001..jpg

To keep you all drooling, get an bucket ready :cool2:

An question about the front of the Sterling 235

What is the usage of these 2 containers on either side of the radiator

They are also at the front end of the Federal truck

I wouldn't know any other truck that would have such items at the front

Does some one know?

MichelK

Sterling DDS 235..jpg

The front shackle of the front spring (to the right of this picture) is attached to the base of a 5" dia. piston, on the top of which sits air compessed to 88 psi in the domed can seen from the front, so it is effectively an extra 'cushioning spring'.

Scan03122010_072534.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
Hi folks,

let's throw in an Sterling HCS 330 from an more recent date

The picture was taken at ArmyCars, Zwijndrecht - The Netherlands on the 6th of may 2009

To be honest, from an distance it looked better then it realy was, also the boom has been shortened

Michel

I am presently restoring a HCS330 and have owned a second one as well.

A couple of observations about the Zwijndrect Stering HCS330 - it has had a Diamond T windshield grafted in place of the original large square Sterling inner windshields should be. The door windows are Diamond T size and shape too, not like the smaller Sterling window. The gas tank has been moved to the drivers side from the passenger side. The bumper is not original and the stabilizer leg holders are not original either.

Anyone have a photo of the engine?

David

• 8 years later...
On 8/8/2013 at 5:03 PM, acmack said:

I am presently restoring a HCS330 and have owned a second one as well.

A couple of observations about the Zwijndrect Stering HCS330 - it has had a Diamond T windshield grafted in place of the original large square Sterling inner windshields should be. The door windows are Diamond T size and shape too, not like the smaller Sterling window. The gas tank has been moved to the drivers side from the passenger side. The bumper is not original and the stabilizer leg holders are not original either.

Anyone have a photo of the engine?

David

Hello David 

My Name is Joost i'm from Holland and i have some questions about the sterlings you own.

the reason i want to ask you some questions is because we also own a sterling HCS 330

and i have a picture of the engine for you. i hope to hear from you.

yours sincerely

Joost