Afghan Tank Scrapyard

fesm_ndt

Heres some footage of a tank grave yard in Iraq and Afgan.

They say its costing to much to send them back to be fixed up or scraped so probably why their selling to china

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Sht-9mudc

Eddie.

Doesn't sound very logical when Abrams are concerned unless they are in pieces.

Don't forget the last new one was made in 1992....since then they only refurbish them.

Guess shipping back to refurbish is better than getting less of them.

Or is the concept of heavy tank being fased out?

Just reporting what i heard on the news. Wouldn't be the first time thats wrong!

I didn't think it sounded plausible since I'm sure I saw on the discovery channel not long ago there was a program about the M1A1 saying they all get refurbed no matter how fecked they are unless like you said they are blown to bits.

Eddie

• 1 month later...

Jim Rae

Probably not this yard, but one of the scrapyards had several Churchills on it - I even saw images of an FT-17

Not in Afghanistan -it was Iraq, while two Ft17-18 were found in an Afghan dump AFIAK no Churchills ever got to Afghanistan, whereas Iraq had them as their tank cadre when the British left in !949. There were at least 2 complete Chuchills in the Iraq army historical collection whan the Americans arrived in 2003 in addition there was a turret on a stand which had been used as a test target. All were mk7.