Ferret Bren Mount

DaveP

A good friend of mine has a mk1/2 and is looking to mount his bren.The small mounting post is there its what goes on top of it to mount the gun in hes after.

Would anyone have a pic of what he needs or better still the item.:red:

He has a modern gpmg mount if anyone is interested in doing a deal.

Many thanks

DaveP

Someone here will have a photo of exactly what you need.

I bought a replica one from marcus glenn for my ferret and it looks good, however, I think the correct mark 1/2 bren mount sits higher than those you usually see.

Over to the proffessionals

Paul

Certainly the mount for a Three-Oh on a base Mark 1 sat very high. We never took our Three-Ohs on exercise because they were 60 years old and exposure to the elements would do nothing to increase their longevity. But we did take the Three-Ohs to Hohne Ranges once (along with the mounts - and the FSCs - obviously).

I have Range 7 in my head but it was 30 years ago, so what? A couple of troops of Scorpions were lobbing HESH downrange and we were invited to back up a couple of Command Troop FSCs into the space between them on the firing point and have a cabby on the Three-Oh.

So there we were in the commander's position looking backward, our stance more reminiscent of Battle of the Bulge than regimental SOPs - we were RIGHT out of the vehicle in order to get a grip on the beast on account of the high gun mount..

Range safety rules are there for a reason. NOBODY goes forward of the gun trunnions (if Scorpion drivers were to sit in on a static shoot, they had to climb in through the turret and clamber into the driver's seat. After all, the GPMG actually made getting into the driver's seat difficult, so there was no question "Am I in front of the trunnions?" - of course you were.)with the FSC pointing backward and space in the commander's position limited, there was nothing to be gained by drivers mounting the vehicle while commanders shot.

My cabby came. I was given a couple of belts of .30" and the IG (Instructor, Gunnery) took me through the drills (which was a novelty: we'd had Three-Ohs in the Mark 2s in UNFICYP in case there was trouble, but come the day we needed it, few had actually been Three-Oh trained), showed me the left- and right-of-arc markers, we went to ACTION, changed the green flag to red, he gave me a target and off I went (he couldn't really give me a fire order because it was a one-man job. When a FSC commander decides he's taking on an MG nest full of Commies, he doesn't shout to himself "COAX, TRAVERSE STEADY RIGHT ON 400 MAGGIE IN TREE LINE - 400 ON - LOADED FIRE - FIRING NOW" he just gets on with it.

So I was told to engage a target representative of an MQ position, open up at range 400 metres, carry on.

Short ranging burst. OOOH there's a kick. Correct. fresh burst: OOOH still a big kick. My mean point of aim was indeed on the MG nest, but the slack in the mount, the vicious recoil and the relatively light weight of a Mark 1 Ferret meant that the group was appalling.

At this point the radio squawked and the Range Safety Officer was whinging about somebody firing out of arc. It turned out the firing position and the weapon mounting were so bad for a Three-Oh on a Mark 1 Ferret, that it was basically impossible not to fire out of arc on one side or another.

We never bothered taking the Three-Ohs even to Hohne after that.

A good friend of mine has a mk1/2 and is looking to mount his bren.The small mounting post is there its what goes on top of it to mount the gun in hes after.

Many thanks

DaveP

You will need a front plate with a mounting bracket , I made one tha I copied froma one I saw one film .I could photograph it if you want

Laurence.

Many thanks

DaveP

A few pics any use?

• 2 weeks later...

A good mate of mine DaveP posted a thread for me a couple of weeks ago ref a bren gun mount for my MK1/2 Ferret.Somebody kindly came back with a photo, but I it was for a Mk 1. Is there anybody else out there with correct info or even said item that is for sale.

MANY TANKS KEV

MK 1/2 Ferret 01 CA 70

Champ 08 BF 17

Champ 73 BE 12

A good mate of mine DaveP posted a thread for me a couple of weeks ago ref a bren gun mount for my MK1/2 Ferret.Somebody kindly came back with a photo, but I it was for a Mk 1. Is there anybody else out there with correct info or even said item that is for sale.

MANY TANKS KEV

MK 1/2 Ferret 01 CA 70

Champ 08 BF 17

Champ 73 BE 12

Do you mean the mount that fits to the front of the fixed turret or the gun mount itself. I've seen the the part that mounts to the front of the fixed turret not the gun mount itself.