Meteor or Merlin?

agripper

I know that RR Merlins engines have been used is trucks Boats cars and even a motorbike and the same can be said for teh down rated metor engine which has no super charger. With all the repro aircraft being made has anyone tried to fit a automotive RR Meteor engine in any of these, if at all possible.

I would have put this in the aviation section but thought that those in teh know about land based vehicles would most likly be in the MV Chatter section. Sorry if anyone thinks I have put this in the wrong spot, if so I am sure it will be moved. I did wounder though how much better the repor aircraft would sound with an engine musch closer to the original, though not to sure how the CAA would feel about letting said engien be used, not to mention what mods they would want. Not even sure the engien would be able to rev high enough or how much is woud cost to get the engine in teh right configuaration. :nut:

The following are dis-similar Reduction gear,fan drive, coolant pump, carburetor, wheel case, fuel pump, relief valve, oil pump, sump pan. Supercharger. Starter system. engine mount and probably fuel injection and spark.

It may be possible to use a main block, crankshaft, cylinders pistons and cylinder heads, for a ground up rebuild but i'm not qualified to say whether it would pass a CAA inspectrion.

Steve

Edited by steveo578
addition

About the only Meteor parts that can be used in a Merlin are liners. Other parts are the same but finished to a lower standard or are ex-Merlin parts that have failed test or been slightly modified.

In theory, you could build up a Meteor for a permit aircraft but as this engine would be way over the LAA's horsepower limit, it would be a CAA permit and they would not allow it to be used.