Todays Tank hunt in a Canadian Winter

robin craig

As best I can I will try to tell it how it happened, the light was fading and myregular camera was having battery problems with the cold so I had to switch to my phone. At least the end result picture is nice and clear.

You need to read the whole of the text without cheating and scrolling down to the end result for full effect.

This afternoon I was tasked with finding a tank that had been buried about 15 years ago.

I am in Eastern Canada and at the moment we are experiencing a less than harsh winter, so far. We all know that mother nature will turn on us at any moment and plunge us into a deep freeze.

The frost is only about 3 inches into the ground.

So, the hunt was on, records indicated the tank was buried less than a 8 inches from the surface.

Using a pry bar and a sledge I probed the ground until I came up short after breaking through the frozen layer.

Working over the area i managed to get an impression of the overall size and location.

Next into play was our New Holland TS90 otherwise known as big blue, we have four of the blue machines in our stable.

With pallet forks attached a gentle angle of attack and carefuloperation I was able to break open the ground over the tank to reveal the unfrozen layer below.

The forks were swapped off for the bucket and gentle shalow passes were made until one of the lifting rings was struck by the bucket.

Only a few more inches to go.

Then the manual labour with the shovel to clean off the top.

hand tools.jpg

forks.jpg

tractor 2.jpg

septic tank.jpg

Sorry it had a cr**py ending folks, yes the septic TANK sytem was full and I was the sanitation engineer!

Hey, if i cant be working on MVs today then at least I can spread the joy around!

Hope you see the sense of humour in it all, just couldnt resist doing it to you all!

Oh well, vacuum truck rrives in the morning so all will be sorted.

Robin:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Very amusing:laugh: Once people know you have an interest in tanks prejudice is a general rule, I mentioned to a friend that I had to assist in moving a tank in upper Northumberland UK, they went very pale being Nov 5th, they thought I would be hooning around in an MBT pryotechnics and all.

Actually I was moving a single skin oil tank to make way for a new building regs. approved tank. (ok it was big green and steel). :-D

Steve

Well Tony, thats nothing new for me, i'm forever in that predicament.

The net result was the septic was fine but the line from the house has an unfortunate dip in it likely due to settelement over the 15 or so years since the house was built, we have full basements here. The back fill tends to do that. Coupled with the fact no one is down at the house at this time of year there is zero movement in the line, so the ice has taken a hold.

Had it steamed out this afternoon, all is now well.

At least today I can say Im No 1 in the No 1 & No 2 bussiness!

Robin