Bedford MW with TK engine/gearbox

The Bedford Boys

Hi guys, having read through this glorious forum of ours I have learnt ALOT. I am currently collecting bits for my Bedford MW restoration and I have a question. Does a 214ci Bedford TK engine with 5 speed gearbox fit into an MW? I know that the TK engine can be fitted to the original gearbox by changing the bellhousing to that of an MW type. I ask this as I would like to increase the cruising speed of my MW a little to make long journeys a little easier. I am also looking into changing the diff ratio. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Cheers, Alex

Hi guys, having read through this glorious forum of ours I have learnt ALOT. I am currently collecting bits for my Bedford MW restoration and I have a question. Does a 214ci Bedford TK engine with 5 speed gearbox fit into an MW? I know that the TK engine can be fitted to the original gearbox by changing the bellhousing to that of an MW type. I ask this as I would like to increase the cruising speed of my MW a little to make long journeys a little easier. I am also looking into changing the diff ratio. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Cheers, Alex

Alex,

I have fitted a late 214 to a MW, but the owner wished to retain the gearbox. I had to change the 214 bellhousing and refit the MW one, this also meant changing the flywheel back to the MW 28hp one, as the diameter is different and starter would not line up, but at least it meant the rear engine mounts did not need altering. Another problem was the 28hp flywheel has four stud holes, and 214 crank has six studs, so the flywheel had to be drilled to fit the crank.

I doubt that fiting a 5 speed box will give you much gain in speed, what is done over here is to use a diff from a OB bus or coach, that makes quite a lot of difference. The BHP from a 28hp ( when new) was 72 bhp, the last of the 214 engines produced 100 bhp.....not bad for an engine of the same capacity. I might be able to find some pics of it.

That is something we might experiment with on my friends MW. It has a Bedford A2 engine fitted because the original MW engine blew up. Aparently they have a few more horses aswell. As a side note, what model Bedfords have the same FRONT wheel cylinders as MW's? , as we need kits to do my friends ones.