Odd thing to find in a drain

Jeff Glasser

A few years ago we had a problem with subsidense alongside the main (23-05) runway at Dunkeswell, and sticking his arm into one of the large drains along side the runway, (like you do) and having a rummage around (it was dry) my friend pulled out this, which I believe to be a .50 cal? bullet. It has R A 42 on the blunt end. The bullet itself was hollow, with a coloured powder inside.

It was obviousley a dud, it has a dent in the casing, and the mark where the firing pin hit is off centre.

I can only imagine that some gunner flung it there from his P.B.4.Y. Liberator in frustration to be found 60 odd years later! I like to conjure up visions like this!

It polished up well after emptying the contents, and sits in my study (sounds posh does'nt it)

I'm amazed at how it survived all this time in a storm drain!

Any comments,

Jeff

IMGP0231.JPG

Edited by Jeff Glasser

if its 50 cal the bullet will be around 12mm

maybe was a tracer if had powder inside the bullet.

I got a mills hand grenade at home. Amazing how everyone wants to pull the pin, they get a bit disconcerted when smoke comes out. I used to fit a roll of caps under the centre pin, no noise but gave a little puff of smoke

Edited by fesm_ndt

A few years ago, they found demolition charges under the runway at HMS Daedalus.

From Wikipedia: "In April/May 2006, whilst conducting repairs to the runway, building crews discovered an unexploded pipe bomb, of over 60 feet long, placed underneath the runway by the military, designed to cripple the airfield's operational capabilities in the event of a German invasion. The bomb (along with 19 others subsequently discovered) was scheduled to be removed in September 2006. The work was completed on 24 October 2006."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RNAS_Lee-on-Solent_(HMS_Daedalus)

It makes you wonder what could be left at other former airfield sites. :shake:

Mike, It's a touch under 5 1/2 " long. I also thought tracer.

lol at the grenade joke! That must concentrate their thoughts for a second or two!!

Johnny, I remember reading about those finds at H.M.S. Daedalus.

There is an excellent museum at Dunkeswell, it was started many years ago when some lads who started the museum found lots of stuff around the airfield and started a collection. Well worth a visit if your ever in Devon

Bodge, thanks for the explanation of R A on the bottom of the casing.

Jeff

Mike, It's a touch under 5 1/2 " long. I also thought tracer.

lol at the grenade joke! That must concentrate their thoughts for a second or two!!

Jeff

yeah, it's somewhere in my boxes of stuff back in Aus, had it since '84 I guess. One guy who pulled the pin and saw the smoke, dropped it in his girfriend's lap as he was bolting out the door. Needless to say that romance faltered.

The guy I got the grenade of also had these ceramic ones which had a cap that screwed off. Under that was a rolled length of flat rope/string. I am guessing some sort of trip device but never seen anything like it ever since.

yeah, it's somewhere in my boxes of stuff back in Aus, had it since '84 I guess. One guy who pulled the pin and saw the smoke, dropped it in his girfriend's lap as he was bolting out the door. Needless to say that romance faltered.

The guy I got the grenade of also had these ceramic ones which had a cap that screwed off. Under that was a rolled length of flat rope/string. I am guessing some sort of trip device but never seen anything like it ever since.

These strings would unwrap when thrown starting the ignition.

These strings would unwrap when thrown starting the ignition.

being ceramic, post war????? Any idea of the name, I'll look it up?

I always thought odd as the Mills ww2 era, as in Vietnam Aus used (I can't remember) the one with I think 80m of wire in it, and phosphorous.

being ceramic, post war????? Any idea of the name, I'll look it up?

I always thought odd as the Mills ww2 era, as in Vietnam Aus used (I can't remember) the one with I think 80m of wire in it, and phosphorous.

Take a look here;

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.fototime.com/8982EF2D602127E/orig.jpg&imgrefurl=http://thedonovan.com/archives/grenades/&usg=__wuFMEm8aTY_Rsa3LkwUZscrzL9I=&h=445&w=470&sz=49&hl=en&start=7&um=1&tbnid=f59ID30TVZ0eHM:&tbnh=122&tbnw=129&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgrenade%2Bstring%2Blead%2Bignition%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1I7ADSA_nl%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

orig.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!
photo link

as Enigma shows it is a number 69 grenade fromm ww2 but is in fact bakelite not ceramic and quite rare in comparisn to the more normal mills grenade

Nigel

Yep was reading the bit about being bakelite. Must have been this as was way back in '84 and I never wanted much to do with them as a mills is easy, unscrew the bottom and take the fuse out.

A few years ago, they found demolition charges under the runway at HMS Daedalus.

From Wikipedia: "In April/May 2006, whilst conducting repairs to the runway, building crews discovered an unexploded pipe bomb, of over 60 feet long, placed underneath the runway by the military, designed to cripple the airfield's operational capabilities in the event of a German invasion. The bomb (along with 19 others subsequently discovered) was scheduled to be removed in September 2006. The work was completed on 24 October 2006."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RNAS_Lee-on-Solent_(HMS_Daedalus)

It makes you wonder what could be left at other former airfield sites. :shake:

When I lived in Martlesham Heath, rumour had it that there were two of these under the old runway, and only one was found when they demolished it and built the housing estate. Waiting for the bang during any building works became a local past-time.