Help needed with continental flat 6 engine

Jim Clark

Hi Jim,

it looks like an IO-520 though without a closer look it's hard to be sure. It should have a plate on it but I assume that's missing? It's also missing most of its accesories.

IO-520 means injected opposed 520 cubic inches capacity.

Fitted to a number of aircraft including Beech Barons and some Cessna twins.

In the aviation world, in that condition it would be considered a boat anchor......!

Edited by Adrian Barrell

Hi, its one thing I've never got my head round is the way that the cubic inches is shown , 520 CI = how many CC ?

Where is this engine and could it be sent on a pallet ?

I used to have a KHD ( Deutz ) APU turbine engine as an ornament but the other half didn't like it ,

There are 2.54 cm in an inch so 16.39 cc in a cubic inch (2.54X2.54X2.54).

520 cubic inches X 16.39 = 8.52 litres or 8522 cc.

All US aircraft engines give their configuration and size in the same way.

B-17 has a R-1820 which is a Radial of 1820 ci

Some vehicles using engines of aircraft origin use the same system such as AVSD-1790, air cooled, V configuration, supercharged, diesel of 1790 ci capacity, or AO-895, air cooled, opposed cylinder, 895 ci.

Edited by Adrian Barrell

great I was close to that figure but looking at the engine didn't think it would be that size , was thinking more like 4500cc and if it had been I might have been able to make use of parts but with each cylinder being 1420cc its a bit on the large size

I'm also led to believe the Americans have two different ways of coming up with the cubic inch one been swept volume but not sure of the other "only that its a bit crazy"