Bedford MJ Gearbox

LoggyDriver

Has anyone on here worked on the Bedford MJ main gearbox?

I need to change the main gearbox output shaft oil seal. Thanks to a member on here I have 2 very nice brand new seals for the job. Just waiting for some warmer weather. Has anyone got any experience of changing these or any workshop materiel describing the job?

Thanks in advance.:)

Has anyone on here worked on the Bedford MJ main gearbox?

I need to change the main gearbox output shaft oil seal. Thanks to a member on here I have 2 very nice brand new seals for the job. Just waiting for some warmer weather. Has anyone got any experience of changing these or any workshop materiel describing the job?

Thanks in advance.:)

Loggy,

Not a big job. First drain the gearbox, Remove propshaft at front end and support. You will see a bolt secured by a tab washer and a large thick washer securing the output flange, remove bolt and flange. You might need a puller to remove the flange, depends on your luck. Unbolt the rear cover, knock out the old seal. Fit a new seal and use a plate or hardwood block, then knock in with a hammer, this saves misshaping the seal. Fit seal flush with cover outer face. smear a bit of light grease around the lip to help it before oil gets to it. Refit cover using jointing compound, and rest in reverse order. Don't forget to refill gearbox oil.

Loggy,

Not a big job. First drain the gearbox, Remove propshaft at front end and support. You will see a bolt secured by a tab washer and a large thick washer securing the output flange, remove bolt and flange. You might need a puller to remove the flange, depends on your luck. Unbolt the rear cover, knock out the old seal. Fit a new seal and use a plate or hardwood block, then knock in with a hammer, this saves misshaping the seal. Fit seal flush with cover outer face. smear a bit of light grease around the lip to help it before oil gets to it. Refit cover using jointing compound, and rest in reverse order. Don't forget to refill gearbox oil.

Thanks Richard. I sort of guessed that was the procedure. Is there supposed to be a gasket to seal the output flange cover to the gearbox or do they just use instant gasket? I might buy a gasket sheet and cut one out if I do need one? Cheers mate.

Thanks Richard. I sort of guessed that was the procedure. Is there supposed to be a gasket to seal the output flange cover to the gearbox or do they just use instant gasket? I might buy a gasket sheet and cut one out if I do need one? Cheers mate.

It is sometime since I pulled one apart, but the manual does not mention a gasket (****), only to use jointing compound. I recommend Hylomar Blue, as I'm not a lover of those silicone sealers. A thin paper joint would do no harm, check if any of the bolt holes go right through, if they do, put a bit of sealer on the thread else oil will creep out.

**** just had another look and further in the manual it does mention fitting a gasket

Edited by Richard Farrant
added re. gasket

Hi Loggy.

There is no gasket on the gearbox drawing. try using Loctite 574 multigasket, but don't go too made with it, you only need a thin bead around the housing. hope this is of some help.

Clive

protruckservices.com