Apache - them injuns on the warpath !

mark m uk

I had an oppertunity to take a few snaps during a visit to our local base and the airmobile brigade. I had a very good look around the Apache gun ships. When it rained got in an attack helicopter. I asked everytime befor I took a picture.

just thought you guys may like a peek too !

Amazing when the return, refuel and rearm. They land away from the site, taxi into the site - then the ground crew plug in a laptop type thingy. Read out exacty what, and how much to load. - they are soon back in the air.

That last scene of all the helicopters in the air had something missing -

Wagner's 'ride of the valkyries' should have been playing !

wattisham005.jpg

wattisham011.jpg

wattisham020.jpg

wattisham023.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing machine. If you want to get a real insight into flying these in anger in Afghanistan then a good book to read is Apache Dawn by Damien Lewis.

As the Apache Squadrons say 'Always outnumbered, never outgunned'.

We were out in the Huey yesterday afernoon. The guys in the front got the chance to try the heating system out as my son and I were in the back with the doors open (the only way to fly the Huey). Well wrapped up against the forced downdraught the views over Lancashire were stunning. You can't beat it.

H1HU

Amazing machine. If you want to get a real insight into flying these in anger in Afghanistan then a good book to read is Apache Dawn by Damien Lewis.

We were out in the Huey yesterday afernoon. The guys in the front got the chance to try the heating system out as my son and I were in the back with the doors open (the only way to fly the Huey). Well wrapped up against the forced downdraught the views over Lancashire were stunning. You can't beat it.

H1HU

Oh boy - Them Apaches are a hellever piece of kit, but for sheer excitement you will never beat a Huey. Just listening to one thumping the sky with them huge paddles makes the hairs on your neck stand up. You must surely have a youtube of a huey flight you can post up here ?

H1HU

Perhaps I can beg a ride with you sometime, will be something to remember for years and years to come.

Huey videos are on Youtube. Just type in huey 509 and you will get a selection including veterans re-union, short documentary and the one everybody likes because of the soundtrack is the flying sequence. Video of the old girl flying and doung what she does best, making lots of noise!!!

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=huey+509&search_type=&aq=f

H1HU