Barcombe Pillboxes, My 2nd Visit.

Certainly look drier than when I last visited these............:)

Barcombe Mills was on both the GHQ* defence line and an east-west divisional stop line,...........certyainly possibly the best area to go pillbox/field defences hunting in this area.

* GHQ line, was built between june-august 1940 by both royal engineers and civilian builders, on the orders of Gen Sir Edmund Ironside, Commander in Chief Home Forces, and when replaced in jul 1940, by Gen Alan Brooke.

Have you seen the one dug into railway bank nr the Anchor pub??

Again, great pic's.............maybe's next year, a trip could be arranged for those interested in this subject, around the area. :)

All the best,

Andy

Certainly look drier than when I last visited these............:)

Barcombe Mills was on both the GHQ* defence line and an east-west divisional stop line,...........certyainly possibly the best area to go pillbox/field defences hunting in this area.

* GHQ line, was built between june-august 1940 by both royal engineers and civilian builders, on the orders of Gen Sir Edmund Ironside, Commander in Chief Home Forces, and when replaced in jul 1940, by Gen Alan Brooke.

Have you seen the one dug into railway bank nr the Anchor pub??

Again, great pic's.............maybe's next year, a trip could be arranged for those interested in this subject, around the area. :)

All the best,

Andy

Thanks Andy and yes a great place to explore. I was once told this place got the name 'Pillbox Alley' becuase there were 36 pillboxes in total in the area. How true this is im not sure!.

If a trip is arranged il be sure tobe there. :)

I think i have some pic's of that pillbox in the railway bank. il try and post them at some point.

Thanks Andy and yes a great place to explore. I was once told this place got the name 'Pillbox Alley' becuase there were 36 pillboxes in total in the area. How true this is im not sure!.

If a trip is arranged il be sure tobe there. :)

I think i have some pic's of that pillbox in the railway bank. il try and post them at some point.

:) Thinking as you have taken so much time uploading pic's you'd be the best one to lead it. :-D

All the best,

Andy

:) Thinking as you have taken so much time uploading pic's you'd be the best one to lead it. :-D

All the best,

Andy

Lol :). Yes why not. Il wait till christmas is out the way and see how many people here will be interested.

A type 28 which may have housed a 6 pdr! as im informed. It has quite a large entrance to it aswell.

In part your correct in this, but according to the 'pillbox bible',......

Pillboxes. A study of UK Defences 1940. by Henry Wills (well worth tracking down if interested in the subject :)) type FW3/28 which was designed to house the 2pdr a/t gun..........although as you say both a 3pdr and 6pdr naval gun have been known to have been installed,.........interestingly though, it would be interesting to know if either of the later would fire a/t ammo.........

Without going into too many details, - which also start to conflict themselves, :sweat: differing types of pillbox had different no's............

type's 22-23 etc The FW3 bit referes to the Directorate of Fortifications F.W 3 branch, who in june 1940 issued a series of drawings, etc to Army Command. thus FW 3/28 is 'anti-tank 2pdr emplacement. Also FW 28A same with Bren chamber.

This study of these structures is a history of warfare in itself.

Great thread.

Andy