WW 2 Rusian tank found after 62 years

FWDTEXAS

Thats eastern block engineering for you, rough but it survives anything. A local farmer here used to have an old Zetor tractor, grass growing out of the engine etc etc. He rolled it over three times and it still ran. Went on for years.

Mind you my wife's Lada Riva was crap so I'll shut up

Paul

PS we have a pond on the farm, might be an old sherman there perhaps, anyone got any diving gear?

Captured by the Germans then run into a bog it was found 62 years later with all components still working and after tinkering for 1/2 HR started the diesel engine

This story is many years old (google around a bit), and although this T34 was remarkably complete and well preserved, it required a full restoration to get it running again!

H.

Are you sure that it is a T34, i thought it was a form of russian tank destroyer, cause if you look at the main gun it's not the same as a T34.

It´s the first version of the T34 with 76mm gun, later versions had a larger turret with 85mm gun, known as T34/85.

H.

Mind you my wife's Lada Riva was crap so I'll shut up

QUOTE]

Nowt wrong with Ladas all those Italian designed electrics r just wonderful when they decide to wrap around the steering column, even better when you have to wrench the thing into going in a straight line when you're heading for the nghbs brand new car!

Oh the joys of owning a Lada as my first car

Andy

They might have been mentioned elsewhere but these photos might be of passing interest with regard to recovery in Russia

First is a KV1 pulled out of a river around 2000 (unfortunately I can't find the web site for this)

2nd is a photo of the ammo removal. There was also a photo of a BT recovered from the Neva at about the same time.

The next three are from a site called the Serpents wall which is about relics around Kiev in the Ukrine.

A Sherman M4A2 75 turret The hull still stuck in the Korsun peat bog Marked in red is a hit on the turret.

Serpents wall is worth a visit.:)

Steve

kv1_1a.jpg

KVammunition 2.jpg

Korson M4A2 75 -1.jpg

Korson M4A2 75 -2.jpg

Korson M4A2 75 -3.jpg

Edited by steveo578
problems with attachments