bit of a mixture pre WW2

alan turner (RIP)

Amongst the items catalogued at RAWHS was a single strip of 35mm film containing single views of some interwar vehicles heres a couple to start off with

Alan,

This vehicle is based on a Loyd carrier, which were tested by the army in 1939 and introduced into service after that. You pictures are, I think a prototype or trials version of the standard carrier.

No, i had not seen it, although i knew he had something like that. What a corker though. Where is it now? Anybody?

Tim

If Tony still has it, it would be in his museum at Windsor. He also had a Crossley-Kegresse military halftrack as well.

www.historyonwheels.co.uk

Edited by Richard Farrant

Have you seen this Vickers Carden-Loyd carrier? A bit later number than the picture that Alan posted.

It was taken at Rushmoor in 1989....restored and owned by Tony Oliver

Here is another picture of a surviving Vickers Carden Loyd Utility Tractor.

mazyutility.jpg

Is it the same one?

H.

Edited by mcspool

found a few more from the collection

attachment.php?attachmentid=15410&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1257422628

attachment.php?attachmentid=15416&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1257422966

Alan, thanks for sharing these pictures. Fascinating!

Picture below shows the version of the Vickers Carden Loyd Tractor that was delivered to the Netherlands East Indies Army.

Regards,

Hanno

vcl_utility_tractor_knil.jpg

Here is another picture of a surviving Vickers Carden Loyd Utility Tractor.

mazyutility.jpg

Is it the same one?

Some more info: this photo was taken in 1980 when this V-C-L Utility Tractor was located around Staines in the premises of Electron Beam Processes Ltd and/or E.D.Thomas Ltd.

Does this help in identifying this survivor as a separate one, or the same one of which Richard posted a picture?

Thanks,

Hanno

Was this version based on this kind of crawler?

Marcel

Hi Marcel,

I think that is a Vickers Loyd military tractor converted for agricultural use. I have seen one this year, bought from France. The driving position has been reversed so that the engine is now in front. Probably they were left behind in 1940 after we withdrew from France.

Was this version based on this kind of crawler?
Hi Marcel,

Yes, like Richard says, this looks like a Vickers Carden Loyd Utility Tractor converted for agricultural use. The superstructure has been cut down to the level just above the tracks, and the driver's position reversed.

VCL Utility Tractors were used by the British, Belgian (pic attached) and Netherlands East Indies Armies. Those for the latter two were built under license by S.A Ateliers de Construction de Familleureux in Belgium. There was quite a variety of these tractors built, in the so-called infantry and cavalry versions. There were different superstructures and different track types and different track widths (as in distance from track center left to track center right).

The Dutch and Belgian versions built in Belgium were captured in sizeable numers and used by the German Army as Artillerie Schlepper VA 601(b). I am not sure if and how many of these tractors were left behind by the BEF as I think they were no longer in front line use by the British Army in 1940.

The one in your pictures looks like a recent find. Where did it come from and where did it go to?

Thanks,

Hanno

20060123053.jpg

Edited by mcspool

I discovered this one in France some 4 years ago while looking at a Cat D9. I heard a couple of years ago that it is now somewhere in the south of the UK, don't have a name though.

Hanno - any other Shervick finds? I missed out on two here in Belgium, both were scrapped little time before I went looking.

Best regards

Marcel

I discovered this one in France some 4 years ago while looking at a Cat D9. I heard a couple of years ago that it is now somewhere in the south of the UK, don't have a name though.

Marcel,

That sounds like the one I have seen, definitely a British built one as the Vickers chassis plate was still in place.

Hanno - any other Shervick finds? I missed out on two here in Belgium, both were scrapped little time before I went looking.

Marcel,

Sadly, no. Apart from those two Vickers Shervicks you mention (one is on my website) I have not heard of / seen any others. There must be some left somewhere!

Hanno

Shervick.jpg

Edited by mcspool

• 9 months later...