Attracting new MV owners / club members in the 1970s

Larry Hayward

What made a great impression on me - the best part of thirty years ago -was attending an MV show on my own as a member of the public and being given a ride around the arena in the cab of a CMP truck by a very generous owner after I said to him that I thought his vehicle looked great. To me it was the highlight of the show and something that convinced me to own a vehicle & join the MVT. While the vehicle came later I later got to ride in many other MVs, thanks to the generousity of many MVT members. For me nothing beats riding in a turret of Peter Gray's M10 on a French public road during an early Normandy tour.

It would be nice to think that we could do the same today, for a member of the public showing a real interest in our vehicles but I suppose such a simple idea has been ruined by worries over Health & Safety or the idea of a long queue forming next to your MV! I suppose it depends on the vehicle in question and the situation but remember if you can make someones day (and their Dad's at the same time) they may well become a club member now or in future! We certainly need them!

Total agreement with you there Larry.

I try where ever I can to fire people up in the back of the truck as I know the feeling that can give someone. I had a load this weekend in the back - including Winston Churchill.

I was asked if it would be possible for me to have some veterans in the back to take to Portland, I said ' would be honored, that what it is for' nice said the organiser ' as yours is the only truck with the sides up'

I know how much pleasure that truck gives me and I want to share this with everyone. Something made my day on Saturday, we where down at the Weymouth Veterans Festival and we were lined up in the beach with our trucks and the Para's were doing beach landing demo and they were all firing SA80 blanks. Crowds were watching behind the barriers and of course all the young boys were at the front. Having kiddies of my own and knowing what makes the smile I quickly pick up some spent cartridges from the SA80's when the Para's weren't looking walked over to these two boys about 6&7 years old and wink at their Dad and then handed these to lads a shell each........wow, you should of seen the smile on their faces, it was broader that Weymouth sea front, they were speechless and there father couldn't thank me enough.

One of those special moments that hopefully they won't forget for a bit, just like Larry is saying - a little bit of thought could perhaps makes someone's day!

Screw the PC guys.

Nice one Larry.

Jack.

I agree too.

From my own experience MV's always seemed too expensive for the average person such as myself to be able to afford - either running or maint. wise. One of the reasons I first signed up with the TA was to be able to drive these vehicles. It wasn't until recently - within the last year - that I realized they were something I COULD do - with the results most of those who post here know about.

So for me - whenever I get to take the Stalwart out - if any one expresses an interest in her, or MV's generally, then I will ALWAYS have the time to talk with them and show them over the vehicle. If it's possible to take them for a ride in her then so much the better.

For most people the only times they get to see these vehicles in the flesh is at the various shows and so we, all of us, are the ambassadors of the MV movement. The classic car movement is different - come summer certainly you can see all manner of classic cars on the road and people can see and, in garages etc. talk to the owners. When was the last time a GMC, Dodge, Saracen, Saladin etc. was seen cruising around in the sunshine just for the hell of it??

If we make the vehicles - and ourselves - available to the public then we do our bit to ensure the MV movement has a healthy and viable future.

Just my tuppence worth!! :D

I was crusing around in the sunshine for the hell of it in my Spartan the other day, it was while the world cup was on and the roads were deserted. I'm sure the 7 people in the back had a much more enjoyable time than watching the football :wink:

Chris

I was crusing around in the sunshine for the hell of it in my Spartan the other day, it was while the world cup was on and the roads were deserted. I'm sure the 7 people in the back had a much more enjoyable time than watching the football  :wink:

Chris

Depends on yer driving, mate. I passed my CVR(T) test in May 1976 in Tidworth to get crewman's pay, then promptly returned to the turret to complete a career in radios. That said, I was fast-tracked (if you'll pardon the pun) because of my natural driving ability ;) (having held a driving licence before I joined up) to give the other course members more training.

Then years later on the North German Plain on exercise in the area between Paderborn and Osnabruck and west of Bielefeld. Our Scorpion had been BERed (and was due for Scorpoling at the end of the exercise anyway) and the only vehicle available to us to complete the exercise was a Spartan. (We we also short a crewman as a member has been MEDEVACed, so having a Spartan worked well having only a two-man crew, expect that the section was a significant percentage down on manpower for mounting radio stags and foot patrols.)

Anyway. The Spartan stopped unexpectedly and the REME were invited to attend. The exercise continued and we found ourselves significantly displaced. Come the completion of the repair, I really, really fancied a cabby, cos all I ever got in a driving seat was moving the vehicle into / out of the hangar. My driver was up for it (and I trusted his map-reading). Off we roared to catch up with the Squadron in order to get skull-down for an eyelid inspection.

I took great delight in the summer evening sun demonstrating to my driver (temporary commander) how to take a CVR(T) through corners without grinding to a halt. He didn't. Eventually he requested that we swap seats back so he could drive me at a rather more sedentary pace. Probably a good move: the Squadron Leader didn't like me and may have taken my relinquishing command as a demonstration of my career aspirations.

What is the point of having "The fastest tank in the world" (see Guiness Book of Records and notwithstanding the semantics about whether a CVR(T) is a tank) and not pushing the envelope just a little bit?

AlienFTM,

Were you involved in Operation Crusader 80 in Germany in 1980 by chance? I remember being with my RE unit in a field when we were attacked by some Scorpions of 'Orange Force' and I can still remember seeing hundreds of football sized cabages flying in to the air in all directions as your lot tore up a German farmers crop!

Crusader 80 was the last one I ever did!!! We were based at GelnHausen, home iof the US 3rd Armoured (UK spelling) just outside Frankfurt am Main. Interesting thing was - we were the opposition (blue forces) to the US guys who were orange......

Made for some interesting situations - especially when the yanks found out both who AND what we were!! :evil: :evil: :evil: