Any info on this charger?

gazzaw

Hi

Just acquired this swan 12V battery charger (nominal 14V output) does anyone have any info about it and what era does it come from?

Gary,

I have worked on a varied number of gen and charging sets for the army, some dating from WW2, but have never come across this make before. I was dubious about it being ex-military, did a quick search and found a web site dedicated to engines and someone else was enquiring about how to repair one, they had a 34cc JAP engine apparantly. A poster came on to say they were used by the Royal Observer Corps at the underground posts for battery charging, he was a member so sounds like that is where they were used.

Site was www.internalfire.com

Thanks Richard

I was wondering if they were military or not as there was no MOD plates or any other plates showing modifications etc, nor any NSN or markings. At end of day as long as it does job and it is painted correct colour it won't look too much out of place.

Regards

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure that is not a JAP engine, it may be a Villers or a MAG from Switzerland (handled by Villers in the UK) The Villiers F15 looks like a good candidate.

JAP went down the tubes in the 1960's and were taken over by Villiers, they never had anything this modern in their range.

The generator end is also seen on Onan-engined sets.

Peter

Edited by listerdiesel

I'm pretty sure that is not a JAP engine, it may be a Villers or a MAG from Switzerland (handled by Villers in the UK) The Villiers F15 looks like a good candidate.

JAP went down the tubes in the 1960's and were taken over by Villiers, they never had anything this modern in their range.

The generator end is also seen on Onan-engined sets.

Peter

Peter,

I only quoted a thread from the Internal Fire forum, but on thinking about it, the 34cc JAP was a two stroke, which this one is not, so the original poster on that forum had a Swan charger with a different engine. The last poster on there, showed a photo of one identical to Gary's set and must admit it could well be a Villiers engine. That last poster was in the Royal Observer Corps and used them, in their Posts, so could date to early Sixties.

It is certainly a late build as it has a plastic filler cap on the fuel tank.

I've got an F15 data sheet on file, I'll dig it out and compare with your photo.

The MAG engines have metal filler caps on all that I have details for.

Peter

Edit: F15 recoil looks different, exhaust and inlet in the right places.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have one of these also, with a difference........

A cute little 4-stroke Villiers which, curiously, always starts!!! (I have a love-hate relationship with some Villiers engines..... :-D)

Mine has fitted, however, a Morrison generator. Morrison are also a very old generator manufacturer. Otherwise identical.

I imagine its like sankey/gkn/arrows all making 3/4 tonne trailers, the same but at the same time small differences :-)

Alec.

• 2 months later...

Hello Gazzaw

I can confirm that the Swann charger was issued to Royal Observer Corps posts in England and I believe there was a different charger in Scotland.

I am the manager of an historical tourist attraction in the Midlands where we have now restored the ROC post on site and this receives numerous visitors and in return we do give donations to their Benevolent fund.

I am now going to ask a huge favour-----at present we have such a generator on loan but I was wondering if you would care to donate it to us so it is on view to our many visitors---we have had over 4000 this year!

If you would be so kind then please message me and I would be delighted to send pictures and also give you a personal invitation.

Thank you for listening.