Union Jack from Trafalgar

woa2

The flag, measuring 7ft 4in x 11ft 7in, is made of 31 panels sewn together by the crew on board the ship.

And still they couldn't get the bloody thing right...:rotfl:

Admitedly it had only been in circulation for 4 years.

Anyone else spot the 'deliberate wrongness' of it?

I may be also completely off the mark, but the Jack was/is only flown whilst at anchor or in harbour, otherwise the white ensign would have been in use.

So why was the Jack flown in battle? :???

Wikipedia, (the font of all that is not quite right) says the white ensign was certainly being used in that period .

The White Ensign, as we know it, was introduced in about 1800. Befroe the Navy used all three ensigns White, Red and Blue, as divisons of the Admiralty. 1805, Trafalgar the White would have been flown. I;m not completly sure of the White became the sole RN ensign.

Yes a Jack is only flown when alongside , the rest of the time it is a flag.

Just been looking at some engravings of Trafalgar in a book. Yes all vessels seem to have been flying the white Ensign from the stern; however quite a variety of flags seem to have been flown from the masthead including a few Union Jacks, the Cross of St George (rather more frequently) and pennants. I guess that it was an issue of sticking a flag wherever possible, so that the colours were still flying after flags had been shot away. I also thought that I ought to look at the dismasted Belisle at the end of battle as it took a lot of punishment and reports talk about several sets of colours being shot away and the colours finally being nailed to the stump of the mainmast, sure enough this final set of colours is a Union Jack.