Australian event: Corowa 2010 - Year of the Jeep

Hi all,

It is only 5 months until the 31st Annual Military Vehicle Gathering at Corowa. We have just had a meeting to discuss the program of events and as there has been world wide interest I thought I should notify people associated with the HMVF. Our event commences on Monday 8th March 2010 and finishes on Sunday 14th March 2010. I have had some entry forms from people in the UK and the USA. Even though they are unable to attend with a vehicle we welcome them to our event. If there is anyone else who plans to attend and has questions or needs assistance please contact me on kveinc@optusnet.com.au

Updated details will be posted on our website: corowaswim-in.org

Shortly we will be producing another newsletter so if you would like be informed send me an email and I will place you on our database.

Monday 8th March: Event Commences

Tuesday 9th March: Visit to Bandiana

Wednesday 10th March: 10am Visit to Karinya Apartments Aged Care Facility in Guy St Corowa. They will provide a sausage sizzle.

Thursday 11th March: 10am Depart Corowa Airport for Maurice Wilson’s property

6pm: Corowa Shire Welcome at the Corowa RSL. Guest speaker Lang Kidby

Friday 12th March: Trip to Chiltern.

Saturday 13th March: 7.30am Line up for parade at Bangerang Park

9.00am sharp: parade commences and goes to the Corowa Airport. Photoshoot,

9.45am: Swap Meet at Corowa Airport run by Corowa Rotary Club

12.30pm: MLU Photo and MVCA photo

1pm: Gymkhana at Corowa Airport

7.30pm: Auction and presentations: Ball Park Caravan Park.

Sunday 14th March: Farewell to people leaving the event.

10am: KVE General Meeting

7pm: Dinner at the Royal Hotel.

At the moment this is the Program for the week. We will also be having Billy Cart races at some stage during the event. To be eligible to enter the Billy Cart must have some piece of a military vehicle on it. For example a Blitz seat, vehicle grill etc.

The theme for 2010 is Year of the Jeep and I am anticipating that there could be over 200 Jeeps and hopefully many other vehicles. Our event in 2009 attracted 194 vehicles so we could be in for a record attendance next year.

Our event always takes place in March so if you are planning to come down to Australia make sure you let us know and we will help you plan your stay.

Themes for future events:

2011 Year of the British and European Vehicle

2012 Year of the 6X6

2013 Year of the Trailer and Towed Equipment

Cheers

Jan (Secretary of Khaki Vehicle Enthusiasts Incorporated)

• 1 month later...

We now have 101 Pre-registered participants. 65 of these people are bringing Jeeps. It is great to see that we have a few more people coming from overseas who haven't attended the event before. If there is anyone who would like details for the future events at Corowa including the dates feel free to send me an email. We always hold this event in March so if you are planning a trip to Australia over the next few years it is well worth spending some time at Corowa.

The 4th Edition of the KVE News is out. If you would like to be put on my database send me an email and I can forward any updates on the event as soon as they occur. kveinc@optusnet.com.au

Ben Hemmings has updated our website. It includes copies of our Newsletters and Ben has also started to add Event Reports from the past 30 years. Take a look and if you have any reports or photos please forward to me. Include the year of the event. www.corowaswim-in.org

• 3 weeks later...

I now have 121 entries and this includes 79 Jeeps. 36 are Ford, 39 are Willys and 4 are post WW2.

Hope people are able to use the colour poster produced by Howard Holgate to advertise the event for us when you are on outings or even put it in your workplace.

On Friday 4th December the Committee of KVE are meeting at Rosehill Bowling Club in Sydney. We will have further updates after this meeting.

To promote this event you can stick together both attachments to form an A3 size poster.

Programme of events

Tuesday 9th March: Visit to Bandiana

1.00pm: Visit The Army Museum Bandiana.

Wednesday 10th March: Visit to the Karinya Aged Care Facility. The convoy will depart Ball Park at 9.45am

2pm: Billy cart races at Ball Park Caravan Park

Thursday 12th March: Trip to Maurice Wilson’s property: 10.00am departure from Corowa Airport

6.00pm: Corowa RSL Betterment Parade, Corowa - Lang Kidby will talk on the World War Two Military Vehicle Convoy Istanbul to Normandy: 65th Anniversary of the D-Day landings.

Friday 12th March: Trip to Chiltern: We will visit the Wahgunyah Primary School, go on a bush run and a visit the Historic town of Chiltern.

Saturday 13th March: Parade, Swap Meet and other activities

7.30am onwards: Commence forming up for the parade.

9am sharp. Parade commences from Bangerang Park

9.45am: Swap Meet at Corowa Airport. The Corowa Rotary Club will be running the Swap Meet again in 2010.

12.30pm: MLU Forum group photo and MVCA group photo

1.00pm: Gymkhana at Corowa Airport & Billy cart races

Saturday 13th March: Auction and Presentations

7.30pm SHARP: Come and support the Auction and presentations on Saturday evening. We will not be organising a meal on the Saturday evening. There is bound to be a combination of items of interest.

Sunday 14th March:

10.00am: KVE Inc General Meeting

6.30pm onwards: For people staying on until Monday come along to The Royal Hotel for a final dinner. There will be a specials board.

KVE01.jpg

Programme of events for poster.doc

• 2 weeks later...

You should plan to visit Australia one day. We have different themes each year now for vehicles and it encourages people to get their unrestored vehicles out of the shed. In 2011 it will be Year of the British and European Vehicles, 2012 will be Year of the 6X6 and in 2013 we will have year of the trailed equipment. Participants at Corowa in 2010 will get the opportunity to suggest a theme for 2014. Does anyone have any suggestions? We have already had Year of the Blitz, Year of the Studebaker, Year of the Amphibian, Year of the Dodge, Year of the Carrier, Year of the Cycle and Staff Car and Year of the Tracked Vehicle. The theme Year of the Jeep for 2010 has created lots of interest and we have had lots of promotion through an Australian Magazine - Jeep Action Australia.

• 2 months later...

Our 31st Annual GPA Swim-In and Ex-Military Vehicle Gathering at Corowa was a huge success. We ended up with a total of 266 vehicles this year. I will post a complete list up in the next day or two. There were 179 Jeeps. I originally thought we might get 200 Jeeps but unfortunately a few had to pull out. There is always a number of people who preregister and are unable to attend and many who don't preregister who wish they did so once realising that the package they received was great value for money.

We had a number of overseas guests which was great. Looks like some of them hope to return on an annual basis.

The next event will take place from Monday 14th March to Sunday 20th March 2011 and the theme is Year of the British and Year of the European Vehicles.

Military Vehicle List for 2010: total 266

95 Ford Jeeps including 2 Mutts and 3 GPA’s

84 Willys Jeeps

24 Landrovers

9 Blitzes – 6 Chev

· 3 x C60L,

· 1 X C15,

· 1 X C15A

· 1 X C8AX

3 Ford

· 1 X Cab 12 F60L,

· 1X Cab 13 F60L,

· 1X F60S 400 Gallon Tanker

2 M37 Dodges

1 WC 62 6X6 Dodge Weapons Carrier

4 Dodge WC 52

1 Dodge WC 51

1 Dodge WC23 Command Reconnaissance

1 DUKW

1 1941 Ford 01T 30CWT

1 Chev Truck

4 US6 Studebakers

1 International A17 Tractor

1 International H Model Tractor

1 Leyland Moke

1 NM Mack Gun Tractor

3 Hafflinger

2 Unimog

2 Austin Champ

1 Skoda 1101 Staff Car

1 RAAF Chev Master Deluxe Staff Car

1 International Mk 5 Tipper

1 International

1 Humvee

1 VW – 82 E Sedan

1 Kubelwagen

1 Humber FV1600

1 Ford M8 Greyhound Armoured Car

1 GMC CCKW truck

1 M3A1 White Scout Car

1 1953 Ford 4 Ton Troop Transport

6 BSA motorcycles

2 BSA parabicycle

1 BSA folding bicycle

1 Indian 741 B Motorcycle

1 BMW R71 Motorcycle

3 Harley Davidson motorcycles

1 1991 Yamaha XT 600 motorcycle

1 Oz Amphibian Platypus (not military)

I have just gone through the vehicle list and done a recount. Someone offered to do the count at Corowa but after a couple of questions from participants I can now give you the correct list. Note: 180 Jeeps not 179

Military Vehicle List for 2010: total 266

95 Ford Jeeps including 2 Mutts and 3 GPA’s

85 Willys Jeeps

24 Landrovers

9 Blitzes – 6 Chev

• 3 x C60L,

• 1 X C15,

• 1 X C15A

• 1 X C8AX

3 Ford

• 1 X Cab 12 F60L,

• 1X Cab 13 F60L,

• 1X F60S 400 Gallon Tanker

2 M37 Dodges

1 WC 62 6X6 Dodge Weapons Carrier

4 Dodge WC 52

1 Dodge WC 51

1 Dodge WC23 Command Reconnaissance

1 DUKW

1 1941 Ford 01T 30CWT

1 Chev Truck

4 US6 Studebakers

1 International A17 Tractor

1 International H Model Tractor

1 Leyland Moke

1 NM Mack Gun Tractor

2 Hafflingers

2 Unimog

2 Austin Champ

1 Skoda 1101 Staff Car

1 RAAF Chev Master Deluxe Staff Car

1 International Mk 5 Tipper

1 1979 International 510 A Acco

1 Humvee

1 VW – 82 E Sedan

1 Kubelwagen

1 Humber FV1600

1 Ford M8 Greyhound Armoured Car

1 GMC CCKW truck

1 M3A1 White Scout Car

1 1953 Ford 4 Ton Troop Transport

6 BSA motorcycles

2 BSA parabicycle

1 BSA folding bicycle

1 Indian 741 B Motorcycle

1 BMW R71 Motorcycle

3 Harley Davidson motorcycles

1 1991 Yamaha XT 600 motorcycle

1 Oz Amphibian Platypus (not military)

• 2 weeks later...
We should be able to get some photos on here soon.

Jan has asked me to put up some photos of this year's Corowa event, as she is a bit busy at present, so here goes with the first few;

The first one is a White Scout Car in Australian camo and markings...

next is an excellent restoration of a Ford F60L Portee, only completed the week before, well done to Tony, the guard dog on the roof is Clevo...

here is Mark Weltner offroading his Mack truck......

more to follow soon.

Note to Mods.........I guess this thread is no longer a "Future Event" so should be moved to the appropriate section.

YOTJ  White SC DSC

YOTJ F60 portee DS.jpg

YOTJ Mack DSC02097..jpg

a few more, first one is a forum member with his newly acquired DUKW after finding a submerged object in the Murray river.........."Women and children first !"

a rare example of a jeep converted to run on rail tracks..

a Chev C60L, known down under as a Blitz..

a convoy of Studebaker US6 trucks on the parade.

the earliest jeep at the event, a Willys MA..

and the last one for now, all the vehicles assembed at the Airport after the parade.....

if you want to see more, just say ;)

YOTJ DUKW DSC02116..jpg

YOTJ  rail jeep DS.jpg

YOTJ C60L DSC02349..jpg

YOTJ US6 DSC02356..jpg

YOTJ MA DSC02150..jpg

YOTJ parade..jpg

YES Richard , "just say ;)" More More please , all of them are great to see , that White Scout car with the Australian camo job :thumbsup: thats something you dont see around here . Lots of hard work I m sure was done by all the Vehicle Owners to get their pride and joys ready in time for the show , a well done to all of them .