Old wagon - ex military?

Cel

Hi all

New here, and have a question: we have this wagon on cushion wheels, it has an all riveted frame, leaf springs, brakes on front wheels. The wheels have wooden spokes and steel rims. In the cushion is casted 'Hutchinson' and 'made in France'. The front axle is also wider than the rear, maybe because of the steering? Seems to be original though. Whatever it is, it will make a nice fit with our WW1 truck that yet has to arrive.

Thanks, Marcel

remorque  1900.jpg

100_0368.jpg

Hi all

it will make a nice fit with our WW1 truck that yet has to arrive.

Which WW1 truck is that? Photos please.

It looks to be a very professionally built trailer. Lots were made during WW1 for all sorts of jobs. And as Tony says many more trailers made from WW1 trucks have survived. Interesting to see wooden wheels though. Dont see that on many trailers. Have you got any more photos of the wheels, hubs and axle?

Thanks

Tim (too)

Thanks for the replies. The trailer looks to be factory built and has forged axles. I will post detailed pictures of the wheels later on this week.

The pictures of the truck will be posted as soon as it arrives, but here is a teaser.

All the best

Marcel

S8304260a.jpg

Crikey, that is not much of a clue. I am fairly certain that it is of French origin, so maybe Renault or a De Dion.

Yes, it is of French origin but you don't see those very often. It's a Peugeot 1525. Here is a picture I found of one that could be mine but it isn't as this one has a slightly different radiator. I hope to take delivery before winter sets in. It is in fairly good shape, but flywheel and cone clutch are missing. I'll have to go and take measurements of another one, it should not be too difficult to recreate.

bw01a.jpg

Nice find, bet it isn't in that condition though.

No it isn't, but for its age it looks quite good. The engine is loose (in fact it was that loose that I had to check if it still had the pistons), but as I said it is missing the flywheel and the cone clutch. Quite easy to make the flywheel, for the clutch I will have to make a pattern and have it casted in aluminium.

Guess I derailed this thread, anyone can tell me more about the trailer?

Marcel

Tim, yes it is the same one as in your picture. It looks even like this one also has only one headlight. I like the details like PM (Poids Mort or dead weight)=3000 and PU (Poids utile or payload)=3000. Can't wait to have it home! I will post some detail pictures of the trailer this weekend.

Marcel

Have a look at this link.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=79282

Mirror! better definition in places:

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=74877

The trucks appear to have the same radiator but steering wheel seems to be higher, could be the angle of the camera shot.

A later shot (mirror) of unloading looks to have simular porportions to the other pictures on this thread and the fuel filler is in the centre of the bulkhead.

I too look forward to pictures of your lorry being posted.

Tom

Edited by Charawacky

What a great movie! I also think they are not Peugeots, but they look very much alike. I like the shot at the end of the movie where a traction engine is pulling the canons with a Holt 75 (I think) standing next to it. I will start a separate thread on the Peugeot as soon as it arrives.

All the best

Marcel

Intrestingly, notice despite the common belif that the Western Front was a wasteland, there are trees and the road bed appears in good condition. Also the end clip of the steamer the three, possibly four revetted dug out bays could be an articulation test, maybe repaired carragies?