Registration lookup

Stone

No, it's a Pinzgauer 718 (:cool2:), but I was trying to work out what the last letter of the Pinz designation would be - the website the pic is from just says 'Pinzgauer with box body of Royal Signals'.

uk_tum_hd_pinzgauer_718-001.jpg

Is the box Ptarmigan? The whole system was shut down in July so I wanted to find out if these vehicles were going to be backloaded or just have the boxes discarded and replaced with FALCON or whatever. I know someone at 22 Sigs I can ask, but I still want to know what the truck is called!

(There's a Pinz version called DS for 'dismountable shelter' - if it's one of those I'd be happy)

Stone

Hi Nick.

The Pinzgauer in the photo is a 718 T with a bespoke box body that, as it happens, was designed and fitted by Dytecna a long while ago - for a requirement known as MAPPS. I'm not sure what the purpose of the vehicle was (probably communications of some sort). It would have been built in Austria by Steyr and is probably getting on for 10 years old and is fitted with a water-cooled 6-cylinder 2382cc, turbo-charged engine, probably with a ZF HP22 auto gearbox, or possibly a ZF 5-18/3 manual. Auto is more likely.

I'm informed that the bodies have been removed and MoD are considering converting them to general service vehicles - traditionally fitted with a canvas cover over the load compartment. It would have left the factory looking like an open backed pickup.

Hope this is of some help.

Clive.

Edited by protruck
typo

Thanks Clive, that's just what i was after :) MAPPS was 'Mobile Access to Ptarmigan Packet Switch' as in a data terminal to hook into a Ptarmigan network. I heard there are a couple of Pinz vehicles hanging around waiting for someone to think what to do with them so I might get lucky :) (they'd be just the ticket for something at work)

Cheers

Stone