Garwood winch but what was it off?

ACH

Question

8 answers to this question

To be honest I've been considering fitting it to the Bedford, but not having a transfer box PTO it's going to be a bit complicated. I do have a hydraulic PTO unit for the Bedford, it's not fitted so it may not be the correct one.

I bought two winches a couple of years ago off an old wrecker, one turned out to be off the front of a White Half Track but I've never managed to find out what this was originally fitted too. There's a makers plate with serial numbers on but I've lost the piece of paper which had the information on so will get it tomorrow and post later.

If somebody needs it for their vehicle I would be more than happy to swap it for something more useful for mine, a smaller hydraulic winch or parts I need, but it would be nice to know what it came off if I do fit it.

Cheers

Adam

It could be off a Landing craft I suppose, there was lots of them broken up here after the war. I originally thought it was the one of the back of a Duck and then a Diamond T but it's not big enough for the one behind the cab.

Just out of interest I was wondering what this Garwood winch originally came off?

It was used on this USMC GMC, more likely to have been used on marine application with the capstan drum for normal rope and the wire rope drum for winching/lifting, the two levers, one operated a brake on the wire rope drum, the other disconnected the drive so the capstan could run independently

general pics 429.jpg

Edited by Nick Johns

I didn't think it was off a particularly big vehicle, be nice to see some better pictures of the USMC GMC.

I have got the details off the makers plate:

Mead Morrison Winch

Model No: 3M607LH

Serial No: A-23114

Garwood Industries Inc

It's doubtful that anybody would want it so I'll most probably remove the capstain bollard and mount it on the Bedford.

Thanks for all your help so far chaps.