RAF Leuchars and the secret nuclear bunker

For one day only, the RAF Leuchars airshow was held on Saturday 12 September 2009 and was open to MV owners with prior arrangement in advance.

Myself and my mate Stuart who owns a 1952 Dodge M37 drove down the night before and stopped at the "Secret Nuclear Bunker" http://www.secretnuclearbunker.com/index.html

The museum owner has something to do with a serving RAF member at Leuchars and opens up the bunkers dormitory for overnight accommodation, which is great, especially as it is a very early start to get in before the punters start turning up! they also have it open the next night so if you have some distance to drive on the Sunday, you can stop over and get a nights rest, which is great. Unfortunately i didnt arrive till late, so didnt see all of the bunker, but it is a great facility in original order.

The Airshow was tremendous, the weather which in the previous couple of years had been appalling, was the total opposite, clear skies a light breeze and very warm.

For those who managed to get in and pre-registered, it was free meals all day courtesy of the Delta mess on station, a big thank you to the RAF who put that on!

A superb event with the added bonus of a great airshow, all for the price of some personal effort and fuel money to get there.

Now for a few photos i took at the show:

DSC00629.jpg

DSC00631.jpg

Jessie, if you look in the background under the Spitfires starboard wing, taxiing past the Red Arrows :cool2: you will see the Chinook that went unserviceable that should of turned up at your show.

So there you have it, the power of HMVF, bringing you something in the present, that happened in the past! :-D

DSC00670.jpg

Edited by Adam Elsdon