atlas crane...i need help with the pump

paulob1

I have bought an old crappy atlas crane to fit on the back of one of my zils...would not have bought it if i had known the rams were so badly pitted but ho hum deal done...anyway i need an hydraulic pump. I have found a JCB one would it run the thing...I am assuming i need about 200-300 bar would a jcb type pump do it...I cant imagine why it would not, but any advice gratefully accepted...

My zil, has the pto and four point connection, should fit on the end of the jcb drive shaft easily...

I have dabbled with hydraulics a bit and my thoughts are if you have the spool block ( leavers ) for the crane, there should be a pressure relief valve on that, you will need a oil tank and filter as well, with the pump make sure it pumps in the right direction in relation to its rotation, as some pumps will NOT pump in both directions depending on the rotation, to do with pressure feeding the bearing surfaces in the pump. So the only other thing is the volume of the pump, the one you have might be too much for the crane ie too much volume means when you operate the leavers it pumps too much too quickly so the crane arms and slewing will be unmanageably too quick. Or its too small and the crane will take for ever to move.

Edited by R Cubed

JCB Backhoe loaders run at 250Bar these days, they were 230Bar before that. Can't remember displacement, somewhere around 46cc/rev rings a bell on one of the pumps they used to use.

Flow can be controlled with restricted fittings to improve controllability. Also on gravity driven services to prevent cavitation.

Make sure tank is big enough to hold enough oil to fill all rams (including stabiliser legs) and has a filtered breather.

As already mentioned a valve block will often have an MRV, individual services may also have ARV protection.

Good luck,

Ed.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Paul

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of your old crappy Atlas would you, and do you know what model it is? It could be the same as the old crappy one I've got but mines in kit form.

I've got a pump off a Dodge 4x4 cherry picker with filter housing, kicking around, 4 bolt fixing with a spline shaft.

Cheers

Adam

Cheers for that mate

The details on that pump are 0905 3592, 59 in a circle, T41 in a circle on the main body, it's an Ultra made in the UK, on the side of the pump is says 47 940 10 92, on the front 7722-3 F. The filter housing is UCC.

I've also got a brand new Dowty 2PL120 CQHFBEKI, 41190.

Pump Ultra 1.JPG

Hi Paul

The pump came off a Dodge RB44 cherry picker which came from Eastern Electricity. I bought some bits off the chap whos converting it into an expedition camper, he removed the cherry picker and sold it on, retained the pump as it had a hydraulic winch fitted but then he changed his mind and sold the winch, I ended up with the pump, he said it was a good one.

I tend to hord hydraulic bits and bobs that look useful.

It's a standard four bolt flange with recessed spline drive. I think £45 plus postage is fair unless you've got something useful for my RL. Give us a ring on 07920 162859.

Cheers

Adam