She's a big girl - but she's all mine!!

ArtistsRifles

what is the stolly called then Maude

Did you mean "what" - or "why"?? If it's why then thats easy - the very first time we ever looked at one the wife mk 1's first comment was "it's all mouldy". Hanging up in the HQ of my old regiment back in the seventies was a caricature sketch of the regiments then cap-badge of Mars and Minerva done by a former member of the Regt back in the 1920's entitled "Mouldy Maude". That image has always stuck in my mind and as soon as the wife mk 1 said that - it popped straight up again!! So the big girl will henceforth be called Maude :D:D

If it's "what" then thats also easy she's a Mk 2 FV622, hull number STALII/629, Army No 19 ET 90 that was with 10 (Field) Sqdn R.E for most of her service life. Most unusually none of the swim gear was ever stripped by the MOD/Army so she's virtually as delivered in that respect!

You should be home by now when will she get there

Good question - still trying to find a storage location for her locally so till I do she's staying at her current home in East Sussex.

I was talking to Stuart at Kelvedon on Sat about her and he thought she might just fit the gate at Coal House Fort after all and suggested bringing her up at the next open day (which, due to pre-booked holidays means the 25th June for us).

Fingers crossed she will fit - or that an undercover storage point will turn up - I'm still looking hard. :D

• 3 weeks later...

OK - more good news!! I had a phone call from Tim, the previous owner of the Stalwart tonight - she's been checked out and is ready to roll as and when. He's working 7 on, 7 off so - if I've worked the numbers right - he's free this week end (but I'm not), working the W/E of the 25th and free again the 1st/2nd July.

So it looks like the day she's going to be coming up from the depths of East Sussex will be 2nd July!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Talk about bad karma - or something.......

The W/E of July 1st/2nd is now out as Tim's busy.  Weeked prior is out 'cos everyone from the Fort will be at Firepower (lucky devils) and the weekend after is out 'cos we're away with friends...  Looking like she'll be coming ome in two hops right now - via the W&P show!!!!

Still - I suppose it gives me more time to find a fall-back if she's too wide for the gates at Coalhouse Fort.

It's "interesting how, after phoning or calling on a likely possibility for storage the conversation always seems to go on variations of:

"Hi - do you store vehicles here?" or "Hi - do you have space in a barn you'd like to rent out for vehicle storage?"

"Yes, we do - what do you want to store?"

"An Alvis Stalwart"

"What the hells that???"

"A 6 wheeled army truck"

"No - not interested - goodbye"

Still got a couple more to try - then I hit the famous creek people seem to get stuck up sans any propulsive devices!!!!!  :cry: :cry:

• 4 weeks later...

Right - Op. Recovery is now scheduled for this Sunday (15th). Going down Saturday for the hand-over and familiarisation with Tim, the previous owner and to get the spares loaded - either onto the Stalwart or into the wife Mk 1's estate.

Then on Sunday returning with Stuart to bring her back home and try the Fort gates. If that fails then there is a firm called PACU in River Road, Barking, who provide storage for caravans etc who've said they can take her (although yet to confirm the provisional arrangement :? ) at £1.25/Day. Security there is reasonable as they hold a Silver CASSOA rating!

Really looking forwards to this - although a part of me is decidedly nervous as it's been 25 years since I last sat behind the wheel of a 6x6!! :lol:

You know - some one up there has REALLY got it in for me!!!

Just had an e-mail from the fall-back storage firm, PACU, saying they DON'T have any room after all :x:x:x

Don't these <censoreds> ever talk to each other ??? ???

All prayers to the diety of your choosing for a successful - if tight - fit through the Fort gates would be much appreciated now!!

Well - the first part of Op. Stalwart Recovery has taken place.

We had a GOOD day today - go down to East Sussex about 11:00 - mainly because two cans of oil wouldn't stay still in the back of the car and the wife was a bit panicky (sp?) with them rolling about. Tim arrived about 20 minutes later and we transferred the remainder of the spares into the car. He had to get a party going so I spent an hour familiarising myself with the cab layout/controls and rumbling around the field getting a good feel for the steering. :-)

Once the children's event was running we took her out for a spin on the road to a petrol station whereupon our account dropped another £90 - without much change to the state of the fuel gauge!!. Apologies to all if this sounds like blowing ones own trumpet but I was pleased with myself that the arcane art of double declutching for the gearshifts cane back so quickly. And that I got the knack of catching the steering before the rams took over!!!! :lol: :lol:

Found another two jobs to be done once we find a permanent home for her - the speedo isn't working, I have a new one but Tim thinks it might be the drive from the O/S front bevel box, and the lens has gone from the spot light plus its locked in position and won't rotate. I think she's going to keep me out of trouble (apart from the financial sort) rather well!!!! :lol:

Looking forwards now to the drive to get her home tomorrow. One thing I have learnt from today is that having a #2 is more than desirable - esp. when trying to turn left out of side roads..... :lol:

OK!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Phase 2 of the move is now completed - Maud is sitting in a field beside the home of the owners of our caravan storage site. :lol:

We went down to the Fort and she fitted - JUST!! Had to remove the mirrors and the flashy beacon from the back but other than that it went in OK. Definitely a two - possibly three - man job getting her in though as width wise she's TIGHT!!!!!

Didn't have a very auspicious start as the right indicator and the brake lights decided to stop working. Got the indicator fixed somehow but the brake lights went from none to on full time and stayed there... I know what the problem is and, if there's time, will fix it down at Beltring. If not then as soon as we get back from holidays.

Passed Tim and his litle convoy on the A26 pulled over with issues on their RL. Stopped to see if we can help but they had everything undercontrol so we carried on. Stopped again outside Brands Hatch to check oil levels and all was well so again we carried on.

One lesson learnt from this was the need to carry adeqqiate supplies of drink in the cab as by the time we got home we were both pretty dehydrated.

Finally I'd like to say a big Thank You to Stuart (Saracen Stump) for his invaluable help in getting her home - literally couldn't have done it without him. I know he enjoyed the sights from the roof, esp at Bentley!!

Next issue looks to be finding a#2 from Fords Dunton plant to the W&P show on Thursday as every one today has been telling not to make the run alone!!

Think this is now sorted folks - one of the members of the Stalwart Owners forum has said he will meet me at Dartford.